DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

94 Camry Transmission (AT) Erratic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Default 94 Camry Transmission (AT) Erratic Shifting

My 94 Camry downshifts at low speed (15 - 25 mph) and high speed (45 - 60 mph). It accelarates smoothly from a stop and as it accelerates and shifts from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 3rd it suddenly down shifts and then returns to the current gear.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:14 PM

Start by changing the trans filter, you probably have some debris in there. Also look for metal particles in pan.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:31 AM

I've changed the fluid and filter. I've checked solenoid's #1 and #2 operation in and out of the trans. Both seem to be working good (makes clicking noise when 12V applied). I've checked the wires from the solenoid's connector to the ECM. No short or open found. I've even checked the trans operation with the solenoid connector's of the shift solenoid 1 and 2 and the shif lock soloenoid disconnected. Transmission shifts smoothly. Reconnect the connectors and the erratic operation returns...

Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

If the trans operates OK with the solenoids disconnected it may be a solenoid or a sensor for the trans.

Check solenoid SL.

The adjustment of the downshift cable running from the throttle to the trans.

Throttle position sensor adjustment.

Hows the speedometer operation, OK?

Last edited by toyomoho; 08-06-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:10 AM

I haven't checked the SL solenoid for proper operation in or out of the transmission. The speedometer has been another problem that I've had for a little longer than the erratic shifting. The speedometer advances when I turn the key to start the engine and it bounces and does not stabilize at the correct speed while driving. I ve already replaced the speed sensor and the speedometer shaft and gear. It still is operating erractically. I've also checked the wires from the speedsensor to the speedometer in the dash. I have been working with the adjustment on the throttle cable and the throttle downshift cable. I haven't looked at the throttle position sensor yet.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Might be the speedometer system. The trans also uses this for operation. Erratic speedometer operation could mean erratic trans operation. May be the reason the trans operates OK when the wiring is disconnected.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 PM

to toyomoho - I replaced the speedometer speed sensor awhile back and still had the erratic speedometer. when this erratic shifting problem started, I checked the speed sensor and found the bolt that secures it broken. I bought a new speed sensor and compared the operation and both were the same. Haynes says it should change from 0V - 12V+ 20 times in one revolution of the shaft. Both sensor's changed only 4 times during one revolution of the shaft. I put the old sensor back secured only with the o-ring internal (not able to remove the broken bolt piece). During my adjustments of the throttle cable and the throttle downshift cable the erratic speedometer seemed to change from lots of bouncing to vey little bouncing in the guage. Also, I checked the wiring from the speedometer sensor to the speedometer gauge. No shorts or opens found.

Last edited by evidinhajr; 08-07-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: forgot to add results of Haynes test
Old 08-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

4 cylinder or V6, makes a difference in the trans.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 PM

to Joey P - 4 cyl., LE, 4 dr., sedan, 4 spd. w/overdrive. Checked the SL solenoid. Makes clicking noise in and out of trans. Continuing adjustment of the throttle cable and throttle downshift cable. Also adjusted the cable that connects directly to the throttle. Turned it counter-clockwise (backed it off) and I think it changed the shift point (made it higher in RPM range in shifting, 2nd to third, etc.). Still downshifts erratically, mostly at lower speeds, 15 - 30 MPH.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

I sent you a private message with a link some info.

Quick Reply: 94 Camry Transmission (AT) Erratic Shifting