DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

94 Camry Transmission (AT) Erratic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 AM

usually on 94 and up A140E and A541E transaxles...when the erratic shifting issues start...including the high RPM 1st and skip over 2nd into 3rd...it's usually either the Valve Body to Case O-Ring and/or the 2nd Coast Brake tube seal OR valve body check *****

I have diagrams if anyone's interested

Old 08-08-2017, 11:44 PM
DIY
Default 94 Camry A140E Transaxle

Originally Posted by sparkybuoy
usually on 94 and up A140E and A541E transaxles...when the erratic shifting issues start...including the high RPM 1st and skip over 2nd into 3rd...it's usually either the Valve Body to Case O-Ring and/or the 2nd Coast Brake tube seal OR valve body check *****

I have diagrams if anyone's interested

I would be interested in those diagrams if you still have them.

Also - I am getting error code 42 for the speed sensor. The Speedometer is erratic, and so is the shifting. It actually got worse when I put a new Speed Sensor in the car.

I would also like to know if anyone knows what this is referring to:

Disconnect the cruise control ECU and PPS connectors

It is on troubleshooting page 82 for the speed sensor, I attached the pdf for your reference.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Thumbnails 94 Camry Transmission (AT) Erratic Shifting-ax1-82-inspectionprocedurespd.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ax1.pdf (4.47 MB, 789 views)

Last edited by DIY; 08-09-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:57 AM
DIY
Question More Info

Just to add a bit more info:
I took out the Speed Sensor and kept it hooked up to its electronic connector and spun it with a drill. My wife recorded a video of the speedometer as it reacted. It was smooth even at different speeds of the drill.

So how does that jive with the speedometer being erratic when doing a test drive of the car? It is smooth with a drill spinning the Speed Sensor, but erratic when the car is actually driving down the road, (at low speeds around my neighborhood).

Old 08-09-2017, 04:02 AM

If the speedo is erratic then it's definitely the speed sensor
your DRILL won't SIDE LOAD it like it is when it's mounted in the transaxle
If you didn't buy a GENUINE speed sensor then that can happen - genuine units whether in a Toyota carton or Import Direct, etc are expensive cuz they're not junk

Old 08-09-2017, 02:23 PM
DIY

Thanks for replying sparkybuoy,

The new Speed Sensor only cost about $13, compared to about $150 so maybe that might be the problem. I will put the old one in to see if it is better.

You mentioned in your earlier post that erratic shifting could be caused by Valve Body to Case O-Ring and/or the 2nd Coast Brake tube seal OR valve body check *****.

Do you think these might be part of the problem, or do you think that because the speedo is erratic that it is not these but the Speed Sensor instead.

Also any idea about this statement that I mentioned above:

Disconnect the cruise control ECU and PPS connectors

It is part of the Troubleshooting procedure for the error code 42 that relates to the Speed Sensor.

Thanks for any help you or anyone else can give.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 PM
DIY

So I put the old Speed-Sensor back in and it is at least derivable now. However there is still a little erratic movement with the speedometer and corresponding erratic shifting when it gets near the speed that it needs to shift.

Do you guys think that this is the Speed-Sensor, should I buy a new (High Quality One), or could it be something else?

Last edited by DIY; 08-09-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:19 AM

those other shifting causes won't cause the speedometer to do that and until the speed input into the ECU is STABLE...you cannot move on from there

out of the 92-96 generation...there was at least ONE year that I remember that had a second speed sensor in the speedometer itself