DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

96 Camry Stumbles and dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Remove the outside key with vice grips or CAREFULLY driving it out with a hammer and flat nosed punch. The internet may have video's of removing keys.

Or if your confident can force the pulley off use a pry bar or puller.

Once off check crank and pulley keyways for damage. Then remove sheared key.

Keys should be standard size but easiest route may be a Toyota dealer. Replace both keys as cheap insurance.

Question, when removing the crank pulley bolt, was bolt tight or loose?

Old 08-05-2014, 03:11 PM

It was tight. I used an electric impact wrench to remove it. It also took a puller to remove the balancer. I thought it might be easier since it was removed not too long ago.

The dealer had to order two keys but they will be in the morning. I will pull the timing gear tonight and remove the existing keys and prepare for the new ones.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:04 PM

I pulled the gear tonight and the key fell out in the floor intact. There is an area in the gear now that is wallowed out from the play in the key and the crank shaft slot is slightly deformed on the pushing side of the slot. The key does move slightly when I put it back in the slot.

What are the chances that I could hammer/punch some of the metal on the pushing edge of the slot back toward the key enough to hold it upright? I am still planning on using new keys and would have to buy a new timing gear. But if I can't tighten up the slot some, then it will just fail again.

I'm reserved to the fact that if I can't salvage the crack slot, then I'm done. The mileage on the engine does not warrant a new crack shaft. I have been holding on to this car for my 16 year old daughter to drive for her first car. If she wrecks it, it's no big loss. It's disposable.

We bought this car new in 1996 and it has been an awesome car!

Last edited by bengal571; 08-05-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:49 AM
Default Problemo SOLVED!!

I was able to use a punch to make divits along the worn edge of the keyway to tighten the crankshaft metal against the key. I then installed a new timing gear and installed the timing belt.

The car is running GREAT now! Hopefully, we will get a few more reliable years out of this Camry.

I really appreciate the help that was provided in this forum! You guided me in the right direction to find and fix the problem.

Thank you!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear it all back together and running smoothly! Cheers to many more years!