DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

adding rear ac to my 2009 camry

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Default adding rear ac to my 2009 camry

I would like to know if anyone has converted their standard console to a rear air setup? I am trying to find a diagram that shows the necessary parts so that I can purchase them and get that back seat cooler... Vegas is 117 degrees right now and it sucks!

I have had the console open, and it looks like I need to cut a hole in the air diverter, get some ducting to bridge from the front of the console to the rear and buy the rear vents, is there anything i am missing (besides part #s)?

Any info and pictures you could provide on this topic would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure the AC system is working up to full speed. Either you or someone check the system pressures.

The Camry should have under the front seat vents that flow air to the back. If you look under the seats from the rear you should see the outlet of long narrow rectangle vents next to the carpet (one under each seat). These vents may run through the lower frame stiffer box running from one side of the chassis to the other. This vent selection would be floor or foot.

You might extend these vents out from under the rear of the front seats.

In many cases the vent system does not completely shut off the air to other vents when a specific selection is made.

In the case of the Foot selection. The majority of air may be going to the front foot vents, less to the rear (both F and R vents may be on the same plumbing) then amount as rear to side vents plus some to the defrost and lower vent. If you shut of the side vents or close off the front lower vents more air will flow to the rear vents.

The front and rear vents are typically first in line for the plumbing. If you remove the center hump console cover on the lower part of the dash you will see the lower vents connected to the main plumbing.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 PM

thanks...but that is not what I am looking for... I need these parts

Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Try asking at Toyotanation, if members don't know it may only exist at the dealers parts department computer.