DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

automatic headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Default automatic headlights

My 1999 Camry has automatic DRL. The headlights will turn on brighter automatically during darkness. They cannot be turned off. I'm fine with this.

I was recently involved in a minor collision that was the other driver's fault. He lied and told his insurance company that my headlights were not on.

So my question is this: how can I prove that my headlights are always on and cannot be turned off? Is there something from the manufacturer that states this? Or in the owners manual?

My case may hinge on this information. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 12-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

I would think that the owners manual would state this about the headlights. Those things are so full of all the safety features and warnings, it would be weird if it didn't.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

I found the part about the lights being on all the time pretty quick. Yeah, send that to his insurance company.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Not a lawyer here.

What did you state to the other driver about your headlights being on or off at the time of the incident? Did you mention DRL?

How dark was it? Was it officially sunset, bad weather, etc?

The car does have automatic headlights then?

Any witnesses?

Are you making a claim on your auto insurance?

A lot of incidents come down to he said, she said.

Ditto on the manual info. Might try to find an auto shop that will check the DRL system and state in writing or an inspector form that it works per the owners manual.

Personally if the damages were over my deductible (and maybe even not) I would be talking to my insurance company and explaining things. They don't want to pay thus will being going after the other driver and given they have more clout then I, will have a better chance of winning. There is no penalty on rates if the insurance company does not pay and this is what you pay them for. They also may have pointers on what to do.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:56 PM

Thank you very much!

That is super helpful.

It was dark (night) when the accident happened and the other driver didn't say anything about my lights at the time. My car was still running and the headlights were still on as we exchanged info.

I'm making a claim on his insurance but I am speaking to my insurer as well so that they will advocate for me. Will be sending this info along to my insurer today.

Again, much thanks!

Old 12-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck! I hope everything goes well.