DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Brake/Tail Light bulb has rusted to fixture...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Question Brake/Tail Light bulb has rusted to fixture...now what?

I own a 1995 Camry, and there has been a slow water leak into my left tail light over the years. I've had to replace this bulb a few times before, but this time the metal from the bulb has rusted and bonded with the fixture which makes it impossible to turn . The bulb, being weak, came out of the metal which then only left the rusted metal (from the bulb) and the fixture.

Matters got worse onece I tried to use needle-nose pliers to turn and take it out. The metal bent, then broke off , but the base of the metal was still stuck .

Obviously, I'm thinking I'll need another fixture to replace this one because I don't see any way I'll be able to get that metal base out of the fixture .

What should I or can I do in this situation?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by PoochTheGreat
I own a 1995 Camry, and there has been a slow water leak into my left tail light over the years. I've had to replace this bulb a few times before, but this time the metal from the bulb has rusted and bonded with the fixture which makes it impossible to turn . The bulb, being weak, came out of the metal which then only left the rusted metal (from the bulb) and the fixture.

Matters got worse onece I tried to use needle-nose pliers to turn and take it out. The metal bent, then broke off , but the base of the metal was still stuck .

Obviously, I'm thinking I'll need another fixture to replace this one because I don't see any way I'll be able to get that metal base out of the fixture .

What should I or can I do in this situation?
get enough wire from that harness, and when you do, cut off the socket. then go to a junk yard and get another one. before you install the new light bulb, you may want to give it a lite coating of electrical grease. unfortunately though, you will have to buy a tube of that, maybe a napa store, pep boys, will have it. its called Dielectric grease.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 PM

You should solder the new socket that Glenn8963 suggested you acquire from a junk yard. Use some shrink tube insulation on the wires where you connect them and while your at the junk yard get a new tail light so in doesn't happen again.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 PM

Yeah it's best if you get a new tail light if in case it happens all over again. Chances are high.. Good luck on that.

Last edited by mikeross; 08-28-2010 at 05:18 AM.