DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Camry wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Exclamation Camry wont start

Hey Guys Mike here
I bought my 93 Camry about a month ago. It has about 167,000 Miles on it. Recently I have been having problems starting my car the first incident my car actually started itself while it was sitting in the parking lot. After that i couldnt get it to start. So i jumped it and was able to get a new battery. I found i also needed an alternator. i replaced that and after my car wouldnt start again. im very confused as to what else is wrong with this. I know there could be a million different reasons it seems to be electrical. Let me know if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Thanks again Mike

Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Engine type, V6 or 4-cylinder?

You state the car started itself? Do you know if the car has an aftermarket remote start system? This would be wired into the ign key system. Look under the dash in the ign key area for signs of non-stock wiring.

When the car does not start, what happens? Turn ign key and nothing happens, a clicking noise, engine cranks over but does not start?

Old 09-25-2013, 05:06 PM

no engine noise or clicking at all lights will turn on but thats it no radio or ac. its a 4 cylinder and i dont know if there is aftermarkets but i just bought it there might be ill have to check when i get back home from work.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

With ign key off check headlights, horn and dome light. With key to On position check wipers, dash gauge operation and turn signals.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 PM

hey so i checked under my dash and there is a black box that was ziptied called auto command i know that it is a remote starter possibly from a previous owner. im not very eletrical so i dont want to go and just start unplugging stuff. Also the hazards work no blinkers or dash guage light i do get a open door chime.
Any Ideas??
Thanks

Old 09-25-2013, 10:21 PM

the last time it started was when i changed the alternator and the only thing i did there was unhook the positive end of the battery. if this helps at all

Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

If the car started on its own the remote starter may have problems or somehow it was commanded to start the engine. Cars without remote starts do not start by themselves unless they have problems.

Did the previous owner state anything about an alarm system as remote starters can include an alarm? The alarm can be activated if the battery is disconnected then reconnected which you did.

Look again under the dash for a toggle or push button switch. If you find this turn on ign key and push button or hold switch for say 10 seconds. This may disarm the alarm.

If you don't use the remote feature suggest finding someone to take it out. If you can obtain more detailed info on the remote box such as brand name, part number the internet may have a manual with wiring diagram. The job does not require a professional mechanic as these devices are typically installed by the cars owners following the directions. It may be taking out the remote solves your problems.

There may also be a wiring problem or blown fuse but this is not common.

Power from the battery splits up into various circuits, as such asking what works and what does not.

The head, tail and brake and hazards lights are powered directly and will work if ign key is OFF but still require multiple power sources to operate. One from a relay, the other for the actual item such as headlight bulb.

The wipers, dash gauge operation and turn signals are only powered if the ign key is ON. If the ign key is ON and these items don't work there is a problem. All these items are fused plus the circuit powering these items is fused.

Do the head, tail and brake lights work?

You state the wiper, gauges and turn signals don't work with ign key ON?

Post back with findings.