DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Cargo Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Default Cargo Carrier

I'd like to put a rooftop carrier on my 1999 Camry CE Japanese build.

I've done a search on this before and seem to recall an attachment point 12" on each side of the B-pillar where the doors join up. Does anyone know if this is correct? Can I measure out 12" from the front and back of where the doors join and expect to find something "structural"?

I recognize there is probably a slough of aftermarket parts that can solve this issue, but I'd like to strap a couple of light guage galvanized or stainless hat channels across the roof to attach the carrier to. Once it is on there, it is never coming off. I'm **** about rust so I will make sure everything is sealed up... I just want to make sure that I actually "hit" some good metal in the roof so the thing doesn't fly off.

Has anyone done this that can provide me with advice?

Thank you
Jeff Hunter

Old 11-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Default Answered my Own Question

I sort of figured out how to do this on my own. Once I'm done with the install I'll post up some pictures as to how I did it. What I've come up with is very structurally sound and should look half decent.

I couldn't find any aftermarket racks aside those with suction cups to install. I'm using a bunch of cold formed 12 Ga. Steel to create the rails and crossbars. Might actually look decent. I picked the cargo box out of the garbage, so the whole deal will end up costing me, well.. $0., which is within my price range.

Jeff