DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Driver's Door Power Lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Default Driver's Door Power Lock

I have a 1998 Camry LE that is, obviously, lacking keyless entry. When I need to lock my car when leaving it, I must use the internal lock system to lock the car, or I can use the driver's door. When I wish to unlock, the driver's door will not unlock, so instead I must walk around to my passenger door, which can be inconvenient. Is there any way, aside from replacing the entire door, to fix this? I do intend to add keyless entry in the near future, so could they repair this when wiring everything? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Does the car have power locks? If so do they work on all doors?

What happens when you attempt to open the drivers door? Does the key turn but the lock not open.

What happens if you quickly turn the key twice, if power locks this typically should unlock all doors.

Have you tried another key or spraying lock lube into the key hole?

There is no need to replace the door as the key tumbler, locking device, etc. can be removed. This requires removing the door panel.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 PM

First question: Yes. The car has power locks, and when I lock the car from the driver's door, it locks all doors and trunk. Unlocking from the passenger door unlocks the entire car.
Second question: The key will not even turn to unlock. If I were to twist any harder, it would snap the key.
Third question: I am not sure.
Fourth question: We were given two keys. The one I currently use unlocks the car and starts the car. The other only unlocks. No, I have not tried lock lubricant.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Typically there are two types of keys. A master (might be black) and a valet (might be gray). The master is supposed to unlock everything, the valet can start then engine, lock doors but not open the glove box or trunk.

Try using some lock lube graphite. Squirt it into the lock and apply it to the key.

The dealer may be able to make a key based on the VIN number. If so, this may be another place to start. Keys can wear, causing strange issues. Having a new key cut may help.

If nothing helps the lock can be replaced but this would require a new key for lock. Suppose it is possible something is binding in the locking device. Either would require the door panel to be removed for access.