DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Engine flutter

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Default Engine flutter

New member in need of some help. I have a 02 Camry with 145k miles. When driving at a fixed speed it feels like something is tugging on the car. It doesn't seem to do it when accelerating or slowing down. I'm at a loss on how to trouble shoot it. There isn't any codes that have came up. Any help would be great. thanks

Old 03-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check pending codes?

What MPH's are you feeling this at?

Try to determine if the problem may be the engine (slight miss) or even the trans (if auto) slipping.

If auto, operate trans with O/D off.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:58 AM

I haven't checked for codes yet, no engine light.
It doesn't seem to matter what speed I'm driving. As long as it's steady is when I notice it. 30,40 50 60
how do I determine if the engine is missing without taking it in. If the tranny is slipping, will the rpm's fluctuate?
It is an auto and the O/D is on

Thanks

Old 03-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Is the A/C turning on/off and placing a load on the engine?

Try driving 30 mph in a lower gear the D.

Check brakes for a seized brake piston, wheel bearing for failure, etc.

Basically rotate the tire(s) and determine if there is binding, noise, etc. Check for abnormal tire wear as if a tire is dragging.

Grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and shake it for excess play.

For checking front of car problems. Put emergency brake on, block all tires accept the tire being checked and place trans in N. Raise one tire with jack and rotate by hand. Check for drag, noise, excess play and inspect tire. Do the same for the opposite front side.

Then compare what you found with the other side. Your findings/experience should be the same.

Do the same for rear of car. Have trans in P, emergency brake off and tires blocked except for the one your checking.

Yes, if trans is slipping RPM will change but not MPH. Its possible the torque converter is locking/unlocking but at 30 mph, this is too low. However, check this by turning the O/D off and determining if this makes a difference.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:45 PM

It's not the A/C because I haven't been using it.
All the wheels are in great shape with no issue of dragging breaks or bearing failure.
I have tried turning off the O/D but I can't tell so far. It's not as noticeable at low speeds. Driving at higher speeds with O/D disengaged causes really high RPM's and it's hard to feel if it's doing it.
Is the O/D just the torque converter locking up or is there an actual OD gear? How can I trouble shoot the torque converter locking/unlocking? Could it be a fuel pressure issue? Maybe the fuel pump intermittently loosing pressure/power?

Thanks for the feedback

Old 03-06-2018, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

The trans trans top gear has an overdrive ratio.

The torque converter locks up above 40 mph, coolant warm and O/D switch on. This to improve MPG. Might notice if coolant cold, the torque converter does not lockup.

Above 40 mph, operate car with O/D on and off to determine if this changes anything. RPM will rise slightly with O/D off.

Do you have access to an ODBII scanner or such. Its possible to read real time data on a host of engine and trans parameters.

Fuel pressure isn't monitored directly but would change the air/fuel ratio which is indirectly monitored.

Is the engine starting and acceleration normal? MPG the same?

Old 03-06-2018, 07:12 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it.
I've been trying to determine if it continues with the O/D off. I haven't been able to find a smooth enough road to drive that slow for a mile or so. It seems to be less noticeable at slower speeds.
I don't have a ODBII. I'll have to ask around work to see if someone has one that I can use. I had thought about that, but wasn't sure if it would read in real time. I'll work on that.
The engine starts up and idles normal. The MPG seems to be the same.
This issue sucks
Thanks again for your help
Dennis

Old 03-06-2018, 07:39 PM

What'syour opinion of a Yongtek's ELM 327? I could plug it in and collect real time data.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Is this an US built car?

Might have someone else ride in the car for another opinion.

The site below has a review on yongtek:
https://www.lifewire.com/yongtek-elm...scanner-534548

The unit can output real time data. Have never used it.

There are a LOT of these devices available. There is the ODBII interface and display device plus diagnostic software.

Suggest reading up on them. Many are knock off, clones, etc. of varying quality. Hence the low cost. Users tend to love them or hate them. Suspect due to quality variations and typically lack of any documentation on how to use the product.

A scanner designed for such, can output read real time data typically provided in digital form. The scanners using Bluetooth or a computer can do graphing.

Might visit the Toyotanation website and search scanners for recommendations by actual users.