DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Fog light.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Location: I was born in Africa. Moved to Minnesota. Now in Arizon for school. might stay.
Question Fog light.

Hey guys,
I'm sorry if someone have already asked this. If they have please point m to it.
alright. I have a 2007 Camry LE 2GR-FE. it didn't have fog lights so I decided she needs them. did some research and found that it already have the wires for the fogs. Sweet, because I want the OE setup anyways. so I got a kit from online. it had wires I didn't need. put in the fog light assembly and all that other stuff. Oh and I got a fog light relay for it also. But now the problem is the switch. I'm not sure how to go about installing it. the switch in the box have 3 wires black, red and yellow. I print the wiring diagram and also located the contactor and I've identified the wire for the fog switch. the thing is its coming from the ECU and it makes me kinda nervous. Anyways some questions came to mind. like, if I'm successful in installing the switch will I start enjoying my new fog lights OR I'm going to have to use a Scan tool to basically the computer yo I have fogs now so do your thing?

How do I install the switch the right way?
Do I need to do anything with a scan tool after the switch is installed?

I'm sure any input you have will help. THANKS!

Last edited by Tammy the Camry; 10-23-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Post a link to the kit.

What kind of switch came with the kit?

What kind of relay came with the kit, does it plug into the cars relay/fuse box?

Old 10-24-2015, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

I understand what you are going through. I have an '07 CE and I wanted fog lights. I bought a kit on eBay that came with all the same stuff you mentioned. My car is also prewired for fog lights. I did some research about hooking into the original factory harness and though pretty, it seemed to be more work than I wanted. I used the harness the kit included.
I may not be remembering this correctly as it has been a while since I did this: one wire to fuse panel power (I used a jumper), one to ground, and one to positive. The switch is not active unless the ignition is in the 'on' position.
Also, take note that most states have laws against having high beams and fogs on at the same time. Maybe tapping into the factory wire harness takes care of this issue. Mine do not.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Location: I was born in Africa. Moved to Minnesota. Now in Arizon for school. might stay.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Post a link to the kit.

What kind of switch came with the kit?

What kind of relay came with the kit, does it plug into the cars relay/fuse box?
The switch that came in the kit is the rectangular type that fits in the switch cut out in the car. push for ON push again for OFF.
The kit came with this relay FLS821 12V 40A. But since I want to the it the OE way I went online to get at fuse. But I think the fuse I got online is a piece of shh. I tested it and the reading I got indicates an open in think. resistance is way to high on the coil side. so now I think I'm just going to go get one from the dealer.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Patonium
I understand what you are going through. I have an '07 CE and I wanted fog lights. I bought a kit on eBay that came with all the same stuff you mentioned. My car is also prewired for fog lights. I did some research about hooking into the original factory harness and though pretty, it seemed to be more work than I wanted. I used the harness the kit included.
I may not be remembering this correctly as it has been a while since I did this: one wire to fuse panel power (I used a jumper), one to ground, and one to positive. The switch is not active unless the ignition is in the 'on' position.
Also, take note that most states have laws against having high beams and fogs on at the same time. Maybe tapping into the factory wire harness takes care of this issue. Mine do not.
I totally get that way. And was trying really hard not the use their harness. I'm going to do this if I absolutely can't figure out this switch problem.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

You might not be able to connect to the ECU with kit you have. The factory fog light setup has the headlight and fog light controls in one unit. The fog light switch wiring to the ECU. The fog light relay and fuse installing in a junction box behind the driver’s side of the dash. The ECU then controls the fog light relay which is wired in with the taillight relay.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
You might not be able to connect to the ECU with kit you have. The factory fog light setup has the headlight and fog light controls in one unit. The fog light switch wiring to the ECU. The fog light relay and fuse installing in a junction box behind the driver’s side of the dash. The ECU then controls the fog light relay which is wired in with the taillight relay.
So what you are saying is there is a position for the fogs on factory multi function switch. And maybe since mine didn't come with the fog I don't have the switch that have the fog position. Unless of course there is no driver control over the fogs.