DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Help!! Horn stuck on!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Default Help!! Horn stuck on!!

So I have a 1996 Toyota Carmry with 170,000 miles. Yesterday we got a bunch of rain and some how my sunroof is now leaking. My whole head liner is wet and the floor on the drivers side is wet too. Last night at 1:30 am the horn on my car just started blowing and would not stop. We had to disconnect the batt to make it stop. This morning we re-connected it and the horn was still stuck. Can anyone give me any ideas on what could be causing this. Any help would be great!!!! Thanks

Old 10-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

The sunroof typically has 4 drain hoses, one coming from each corner of the opening. If these become plugged with debris you see the results.

The steering wheel has a switch you press to activate the horn. However pressing this switch really activates a relay located in a fuse box on the front left side of the engine compartment. This relay then powers the horns.

For a quick fix remove the horn fuse located in the same box. Fuses should be labeled.

If the car has an alarm system make sure it was not activated.

As to the cause, could be the switch on the steering wheel. Someone who can use a voltmeter can determine if the relay is constantly on (stuck steering wheel switch). Or if the problem is someplace else.

There is an airbag installed in the steering wheel thus make sure whoever is digging into the steering wheel switch understands this and knows what they are doing.

If you can't find either the fuse or relay, locate the horns and remove the power wire from each horn. May be Green and White in color.