DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

How do I remove the crankshaft nut on 95 4 cyl cmary

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Default How do I remove the crankshaft nut on 95 4 cyl cmary

I have an oil pump body o ring leak on a 4 cyl camry with auto transmission. I am pretty sure it must be that. It is coming out were the oil pump cover is and is running down. It is located lower left side of the oil pump case. I am not sure if any seals are leaking. If I clean it up and start the engine, the oil starts to flow. It's a very slow steady stream of oil.
I got the top timing belt cover off and can look down part of the way. My question is how do I remove the crankshaft nut? I have an impact wrench but it is not powerful enough to turn the nut. What other ways are there? The dealer said they use a impact wrench to remove it.
I have just over 200,000 on it and live in Western New York. I would like another 6-12 months out of the car before I have to buy another car. I don't want to put too much more in to this car. Any ideas you have to remove the nut would be helpful. Thanks for reading!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Crankshaft bolt as in holding on the crankshaft pulley.

There are several options if you don't have an air wrench.

First you will need to hold the crank pulley still when you turn the crank bolt.

View the front of the pulley and locate two small threaded holes. These holes are to install a puller to remove the pulley.

Obtain a section of wood, something like a 1 by 4. Drill holes in the wood to allow bolting it to the pulley using these holes. I think they are 10 mm but check it out. Any hardware store now sells metric bolts.

Make another hole in the wood to allow access to the crank bolt using a socket.

Have the length of wood long enough when the crank rotates it will bind up with the chassis or floor and prevent the crank from rotating further.

The wood section does not need to be wonderful in construction. You will only use it once, just make something that works.

Use a large breaker bar to break the bolt loose, at least 1/2 drive. The bolt is standard right hand thread.

Once off, the pulley needs to be pulled out. If it doesn't move by hand use a bolt-on puller. Do not use a jaw type puller as the pulley is 2-piece and can be pulled apart.

The bolt is torqued to 80 ft-lbs. Put anti-sieze on the crank snout when reinstallig the pulley to ease in future removal.

Another alt method I don't recommend but others do is to install the breaker bar on the bolt and jam the handle between the floor and chassis. Disconnect the ign coil then bump start the starter motor with ign key. This will use the starter motor to turn the crank and hopefully release the bolt. Some owners swear by this method but I think it is asking for trouble.

Other methods are using a strap wrench around the pulley or taking off the starter and jamming something into the ring gear to keep it from rotating.

When fixing the oil pump the typically leak location is the oil pump drive shaft seal. This can be replaced by removing the pump. Grip the oil drive gear in a vice having soft jaws or use wood between the part and jaws to prevent gear damage. Then take off the nut and pull out the shaft/gear combo part.

The seal is now easily replaced, just a standard lip seal. The dealer should have this. If at the dealer also pickup the formed O-ring that goes between the pump and housing.

Reinstall the oil pump gears so that the dot on each gear faces the same direction.