DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

How to put 2007 Camry LE 2.4L in TPMS learning mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 02:17 PM
Question How to put 2007 Camry LE 2.4L in TPMS learning mode?

I need to install new TPMS sensors on my 2007 Carmy and will of course need to register them to the ECU. I bought a VXDAS tool to register the sensors, but how do I put the vehicle in "TPMS learning" mode without using any special tool? I read the owners' manual and didn't see a procedure there.

I asked the same question in the new members forum, but I think (hope) it'll get more visibility here. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2021, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Toyota has their own programming tool.

Isn't the VXDAS tool supposed to be the aftermarket programming tool?

Did you buy the correct model and download the correct software for the make of car? The tool should come with instructions. Have you tried contacting VXDAS customer support? What did you buy the VXDAS unit?

Old 08-18-2021, 07:19 PM
Question

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Toyota has their own programming tool.

Isn't the VXDAS tool supposed to be the aftermarket programming tool?

Did you buy the correct model and download the correct software for the make of car? The tool should come with instructions. Have you tried contacting VXDAS customer support? What did you buy the VXDAS unit?
BTW, should this be moved to the "Your Ride / ECU and Electronics" forum? Admins you're welcome to do it.

I got this VXDAS Ultimate EL-50448 model which will work for a variety of vehicles, including Toyotas. But that's the thing, I have to have the Camry in "re-learn" mode and ready to receive data, so when the tool transmits the TPMS info to the ECU, it records the new data. It's instruction manual has generic instructions that go
  • Go in Park
  • Turn ignition to On position
  • Enter screen of tire pressure display using DTC (driver information center) button of your vehicle
  • DTC shows "preset Set/Ctrl" to re-learn, and press the "Set/Ctrl"
  • The horn will beep twice to indicate vehicle is in re-learn mode
How does that translate to a 2007 Camry? Surely someone's done this before?

This YouTube video shows this guy using the tool at 5:48. He gets his vehicle into TPMS re-learn mode first (the info I need for the Camry), then uses the tool. to program his new sensors into his vehicle.

Last edited by ZillaG; 08-18-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

You may be confusing registering the sensors with having the tire pressure system relearn tire pressure.

The issue is Toyota uses their own tool and you using an after market tool. Unfortunately the instructions for this aftermarket tool are vague.

Try posting at the Toyotanation.com website.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:50 PM
Question

You may be confusing registering the sensors with having the tire pressure system relearn tire pressure.

The issue is Toyota uses their own tool and you using an after market tool. Unfortunately the instructions for this aftermarket tool are vague.

Try posting at the Toyotanation.com website.
Thanks Joey, but yes I'm after "registering new TPMS sensors" to the ECU. I understand from VXDAS users that it will help do that, but I just need to put the Camry in "TPMS learn" mode. I'll try the toyotanation.com website.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

The aftermarket TPMS tool is supposed to set the Toyota system up for registering new tire pressure sensors..

Relearning of the tire pressure should be able to be done without a tool using a button on the car or some sort of car switch position and time waiting period procedure.. .

Old 08-19-2021, 09:33 PM

The aftermarket TPMS tool is supposed to set the Toyota system up for registering new tire pressure sensors..

Relearning of the tire pressure should be able to be done without a tool using a button on the car or some sort of car switch position and time waiting period procedure.. .
If I understand correctly, to register new sensors, you'll need to:
  • Transmit the data - the VXDAS tools does this
  • Receive the data - putting the ECU in "re-learn" mode does this
It's just like any pairing algorithm, you need a transmitter and a receiver of the data talking to each other.

But I think now I understand that this feature to put the vehicle in "re-learn" mode without a diagnostic tool may simply not be available in 2017 or before models.

I'm simply NOT resetting tire pressure. If that's all I wanted to do, pushing the TPMS reset button will do the trick. But I can't even do that since my sensors are not paired - nobody is listening to them.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Read the info at the VXDAS website.

Try this.Inflate tires to specified PSI.

Use scan tool to scan each sensor in order of LF, RF, RR, LR + full-size spare if equipped.

Turn ign ON position.

Connect scan tool and upload the sensor IDs

Turn ign OFF. Re‐scan each sensor.

Drive vehicle above 30 mph for 10+ min. Observe low tire pressure icon to ensure it does not blink.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:59 AM

Thanks. That must be for a different VXDAS tool since the one I have doesn't have a "physical" connection to the vehicle to "upload" the sensor IDs. Tools like Autel's MaxiTPMS does that too.

Again knowing how to operate the tool is NOT the problem. Getting the car in "re-learn" mode is, but someone in toyotanation.com mentioned that it may not be possible for this car's model year.

Last edited by ZillaG; 08-20-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2021, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Understand what your seeking now. Sorry for the confusion.

Reviews of the VXDAS tool finds it works with certain makes of cars. The VXDAS website lists both factory tested and customer tested cars which successfully used the tool and 2007 Camry doesn't appear listed.

My experience Toyota needs tool that connect physically to the cars electronics.

Suppose?? you might be able to clone a sensor which might fake out the TPMS in the car to think the old sensor and new sensor are the same.

One more thing is the VSDAS being able to trigger the horn. Never heard of an external tool (other then a remote, FOB, etc) that can access the cars electronics and trigger something on Toyota, but who knows..

Unfortunately the VXDAS website is illusive as to how the tool works or providing any detailed instructions specific to make, model and year. This seems to be the source of frustration!!!

My guess??? is Toyota was somehow thrown into the list of cars able to use the VXDAS tool.

Again try Toyotanation. More members, someone may have the tool or know about it.

If you do find out one way or another about this tool being able to used on Toyota please post back as it may save someone else problems.

Quick Reply: How to put 2007 Camry LE 2.4L in TPMS learning mode?