DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

need help / advice on exhaust repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Default need help / advice on exhaust repair

my 2000 camry LE 4 cyl has a loud noise coming from the front end. it appears to be coming from inside what looks like a big spring with a sheathing over it.

what is this piece called ? is it a difficult repair ? any and all help is welcomed.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Do you mean the flex pipe in the exhaust?

If so a muffler shop should be able to cut the old one out and install a replacement.

The dealer will want to replace the complete pipe thus find a muffler shop.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Default same issue on 2000 camry LE

Stopped at an exhaust shop - said the only thing they can do is replace the manifold pipe, flex pipe and catalytic converter. said the bill would run about $800

i'm not ready to drop that.

If I buy a replacement flex pipe and can cut out the old one, do I also need to buy piping for before and after the flex pipe ?

How do I determine the diameter of the inlet and outlet ?

I was willing to pay a shop $100 to do the work and I'd buy the parts, but that doesn't seem to be doable where I am.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Did the shop give a reason for needing to replace the complete exhaust?

The flex pipe looks like or similar to the photos in the links below:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-42216

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1317488

Is the leak coming from what looks like a section of pipe that has wired around it? If so this is the flex pipe. If this leaks owners have been cutting the flex pipe section out and replacing it with a new one. These are available but you local muffler shop may not stock them or want to.

You will need to find one the right length and diameter. Some flex pipes can be attached with exhaust clamps such as the one below:

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3428033

Muffler pipe diameter comes in standard sizes. You can use calipers to measure the outside diameter beyond where the flex pipe is welded into place.

Below is thread on how to measure exhaust pipe diameter:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...aust-pipe.html

The flex pipe would be cut at each end to remove it. A new one of the correct inlet/outlet pipe diameter (typically both the same) would be welded into place. Or obtain a flex pipe having a larger pipe diameter that can slide over the exhaust pipe on the car and clamp with exhaust clamps.

Owners at the Toyotanation may know plus have a source for the pipe.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 AM

sounds to me like they are just trying to get you for your money, this car would sound like a harley coming down the road if you needed a complete exhaust. now i have known a few camrys (my neighbors that i hear everyday) and its just the flex pipe. just for heads up dont go into any shop not knowing what the problem is, try to find the leak yourself take it in stateing whats broken. your less likly to have bs handed to you. to find the leak... open the hood on a cool morning. start the car as it begins to warm you should be able to see the smog for the exhaust come up. either from the hood or under the car.. that should give you a basic idea where there exhaust is broken and what needs to be fix.