Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Please Help, Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Default Please Help, Need advice!

Hey Group, I need help. I just bought a Camry 2 days ago for cash, well it is a 1994 Camry LE 2.2L. The car is in excellent shape inside and out, I bought it from a Dr. who bought it brand new, it has 237,000 miles on the engine, which isnt much for a Toyota. Anywho, I went out last night and got in it to go away and it won't start! It was raining outside, so I thought maybe it was the roater and maybe it drawed moisture. So today I gave it time to dry , doeesnt want to start.

THIS IS WHAT IT IS DOING,
I TURN THE KEY ON AND GO TO START IT AND IT WANTS TO STARTS BUT KINDA ACTS LIKE THERE IS NO FUEL GOING TO THE ENGINE, I HEARD A LITTLE BIT OF A CLICKING FROMTHE MOTOR.Well I just had my daughter go inside the car and turn it over wholeI was outside the car looking in the engine, I think the clicking is coming from the passengers side of the motor( I HOPE IT ISNT THE TIMING)It kinda makes me thik maybe timing, and I have always heard the horror stories that a carcan jump time ,like NOW.I know Toyotas are natorious for jumping so thats why I am asking.

Also I know the od trick where I pull a plug wire and take a screw driver and putin the end and put it on metal to see if the engineis getting spark, My question about that is , I have never did that trick with Toyota , is that possible??

Also if it is the Timing belt/chain ...how hard it that to change??? Would I have to pull the motor to fix it??

Please help,

Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Please Help, Need advice!

The engine has a timing belt. It is not normal for the belt to jump timing unless the belt has failed or other part of the system.

Are you stating the engine runs but makes a clicking noise or does not start at all? Or just turns over or appears to be trying to start but doesn't.

Will the engine run (or kind of) when cranking but not when the starter is turned off. As if only getting fuel when engine is cranking.

To check timing, rotate the engine until the crank pulley is at the 0 degree mark with timing cover AND the No 1 cylinder is at TDC on compression stroke. The No 1 cylinder is closest to the timing belt.

Remove the distributor cap. If the timing belt is installed OK the dist rotor should be pointing at the No 1 cap electrode.

To test the ign system remove the high tension wire from the dist cap and hold about 1/2 inch from a ground point on the chassis. Then crank engine and check for spark.

The coil on this car can cause issues due to a cracked body. Typically these are starting problems when raining or hign humidity.

Use a section of hose as a stethoscope to run down the area of the noise. The AC clutch can make a clicking noise.

Might wait until dark, then spray the ign system with a mist of water and check for arcing when engine is running (or trying to run).