DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

New Camry Owner Looking for Quick Performance Tweaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Default New Camry Owner Looking for Quick Performance Tweaks

I recently acquired a 1995 Camry with only 89,000 miles. The car is extremely clean both inside and out. I recently had the, apparently notorious, problem of the car almost stalling every time I stopped. That led me to this forum, which is awesome, and inspired me to try a few minor updates to improve performance.

For someone with a clean, but totally stock, Camry, what are the first things you'd update for better / more efficient performance?

My Camry:

Old 04-13-2022, 07:54 AM

Just updating this post incase op/someone else is in a similar situation

You can do a couple of things

Clean intake idle air control valve (you need to order the idle air control valve gasket (like freddo frog face)
Check for vacuum leaks using lpg/butane around vacuum hoses -> vacuum is highest at idle and thus the biggest air leak will occur at such! , a vacuum leak will suck the gas and change the idle of the motor
Clean EGR/PCV valve
Advance the timing on the distributor (note that advancing the timing will cause pinging , this will destroy your rod bearings)
Check the BVSV valve hasnt been broken , if so bridge the vacuum circuit with a piece of hose
Check if fuel/air filter has been replaced
Check fuel/oil pressure