DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

New to DIY. Critique my plan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 09:12 AM
Lightbulb New to DIY. Critique my plan?

Hello all,

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry LE 4-cyl (5S-FE). 210,000 miles and it still runs great! I got it from my parents. It has new tires and an alignment done. They were really good about changing the oil on time but that's pretty much it. I was wondering what I can do to make sure it runs for as long as possible. I'd like to pass it down to my daughter in about 4 - 5 years.

I'd like to do most of the work myself, if possible. I went ahead and changed the oil myself. I was trying to decide between Purolator or Toyota oil filter and went with the latter.

This is what I have planned:

- Change the power steering fluid (Any ATF DEXRON III, per manual)
- Flush the brake system (DOT 3 or 4)
- New brake pads (Duralast Max)
- Coolant flush (PEAK OE Asian Red)
- New air filter (Toyota brand)
- Change transmission fluid (Toyota OEM?)
- Change differential oil?

The current transmission fluid is brown-ish. Not black yet nor do I see any metallic specs. I know I shouldn't do a flush but I think it'd be safe to do a drain and refill. Maybe I should also take the bottom of the pan off and make sure it's clean? I could replace the filter/screen as well since I'm there. I thought about letting the dealership do it since I know transmissions can be delicate but they want to charge around $200. There is so many different transmission fluids... I think I might just go with Toyota OEM so I'm sure it'll be totally compatible.

Is there differential oil on this thing? I thought that was only for trucks. If so, Is it separate?

I'm brand new to auto care. I figured it'd be a good hobby and it'd save me money. How does my list look? Is there anything else you'd add that you think I should do? Anything I should do different? I also plan on detailing the car inside and out. Here are some pics:

Thank you!

Old 09-26-2020, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

For the power steering, use a syringe type oil removal tool to draw out the fluid in the reservoir and replace with new. Do this between drives until the fluid is the color and clarity of the new fluid within reason.Suggest Toyota brand pads as they typically don’t squeal and fit all the original brake hardware such as clips and tabs.

Toyota brand filters are good, also plus look at WIX or NAPA Gold (made by WIX).

Trans fluid is the same at power steering fluid which is Dexron III or its replacement as GM stopped licensing Dexron III. The fluid may now be called something like ATF. It’s the same color and states it’s a replacement for Dexron III.

If you are up to it, the best way to change the trans fluid is to get all the fluid out at one time. The reason is the trans pan holds approximately 1/3 of the fluid with the rest in the torque converter that does not drain out. A drain and refill mixes old fluid with new.

This change method involves disconnecting the return line from the trans oil cooler and letting the fluid flow into a container. Using this method the trans pan is filled with new fluid, engine started and say two quarts is allowed to flow out. This fluid is replaced and the process repeated until the fluid is clear again. About 10 quarts is needed.

Otherwise do a number of drain and refills until the fluid starts to look red again but you will never get as clear as new fluid.

Whatever you decide, drain out the fluid into a marked container to allow estimating how much drained out. Remove pan; change the trans filter, clean pan and the magnets that are on the bottom of the pan. Put the magnets back in the location found. Toyota may have used gasket sealant instead of a gasket between the pan and trans case. Get a gasket and use this. Fill trans with the same amount of fluid drained out but don't overfill. Then with fluid hot, engine on, trans in park recheck fluid level.

Look under the car at the differential where the axles go into the case. There should be a drain plug under that area of the case and a fill plug on the firewall side. Make sure you can remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug. Drain and fill with Dexron III or its replacement until it runs out of the fill hole.

Unless the radiator was changed sometime along the way might keep taps on the coolant level. The upper radiator tank being plastic tends to start having hairline cracks which leak and over time become a major leak. Feel along the upper tank for signs of coolant.. And check when the coolant hoses were replaced.

Don't overheat the engine as it can blow the head gasket (another reason to check the coolant hoses).

Find out when the timing belt was checked. Its recommended every 90k miles and they can break. The engine is non-interference so if it does break no damage.

.If the car is treated well and serviced it should go 300K+. An extremely solid car and easy to work on.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:27 AM

Dude, that sounds so scary! I've googled this and got mixed opinions. I think I might do a drain and refills at first, at least as I get used to working on the car myself. Eventually I might drop the pan and attempt to do a full flush by disconnecting the return line. It doesn't sound too too hard. But maybe closer intermediate level rather than beginner. Still, I do want my tranny to run for as long as possible! I've heard of some Camrys going like 600k! Thank you for the detailed steps!

"Make sure you can remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug." I am sure this saved someone's car at some point. Good to keep in mind.

Here is the log my dad kept of the recent repairs. Not sure why some things are there more than once, I hope he didn't get scammed. But the car feels like it's running pretty great and smooth.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2020, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

With minor preventative maintenance the car should be able to go for a number of years.Doing drain and refills are OK. Do a number of these until you see the fluid is turning back to red and clear. The filter should be OK given the trans was replaced.

Given the trans change you could skip the diff fluid change for a while. The trans fluid breaks down with heat. Trailer towing, mountain climbing, stop and go will generator more heat. While the trans fluid may get hot the diff is just a gearbox which typically doesn't over work the fluid.