General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

flush?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Default flush?

on this flush and trans filter change. Is it really necessary to change the filter and gasket, I was reading somewhere, forgot where, that these Toyota camry's come with a lifetime filter and does not need to be changed, is this true? cause I am starting a new job, and I don't think I will have time to do that for a while.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

It is always best to change the filter and clean out the pan of debris. However, if time is limited changing the fluid is more important. Its the fluid that degrades.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:07 PM

Yea I should clean the pan, I will be looking for more time to that.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:25 PM

As in the other threads re: this - yes it is critical to change that filter and "flush" out the old trans fluid.

As for drain/refill - this can suffice for a bit, but if you just drain/refil once, you left 2/3rds of the fluid in the tranny. That fluid does not improve with the new 1/3 you added. It will still shear down, gum up, and destroy your torque converter and oil pump, clog your solenoids, etc. Once that fluid is broken down and gumming up, it sticks to that filter media like glue, and you begin restricting fluid movement in the tranny. Bad news.

From a time perspective and general PITA of changing the filter, at a minimum drain, refill, and then pull off that return hose and pump out 1 quart at a time, replenishing with new fluid. All in all you will go through about 12 quarts I believe. At least that will get all the broken down fluid out and put new back in. I am ordering a "new" transmission because I did not do this. I did drain/refill my fluid. Twice at once, in fact, thinking that would suffice. And now I get to pull my engine/trans and put another one in. How I wish I took that little time to pump out the old fluid properly.

To clarify: I drained, refilled, ran the engine a bit, then drained again and refilled again. A total of about 7+ quarts of new fluid. It was the start of winter, cold, and I did not want to tackle the filter change. So I waited. It got warm. My transmission died on me while driving to work - had to tow it home. Thought maybe the filter was clogged so I changed the filter. Was horrible (picture is in a thread on this site). That meant drain/refill again, another new 3.7 quarts. When the new filter did not fix the issue, and my DTC was indicating a bad SLT, I ordered a new one. To replace meant pulling the pan and the valve body, which meant pulling off the new filter. It was just as black and god awful as it was the first time, so clearly I pushed back really crappy fluid back onto it. Because I left a crap ton of sheared down, worthless fluid in the tranny. I bet if I pull off this other, new filter I put on as my final fix it will be just as gross.

When I get the "new" transmission I am about to order (only 71k on the car it is coming off of, and has been tested and is backed by a 199 day warranty, which in my mileage means just under 20k miles!) I plan to have it on an engine stand, remove the pan and put on a new filter as a matter of course. Plus I'll install the brand new SLT I bought, as why not. And believe me, every 60k I will be changing that filter and flushing out all the fluid.

Last edited by DIYDad; 04-29-2015 at 04:35 PM.