DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

O2 sensor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Default O2 sensor wiring

I have a 1993 Camry V6 XLE with the 3VZ-FE engine. I have been trying to figure out why I am getting a Air/Fuel ratio lean code #25. I am pretty sure the issue is that my bank 1 oxygen sensor is not connected. I have found the male connector that is connected to the o2 sensor but I cannot find the female. I feel like it shouldn't be hard to find but I cannot find it.

Where does the wire start? I would like to trace it to see if it has been cut, burned, or ripped off or it its simply stuck somewhere I cant see.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

The large harness comes out of firewall below windshield wiper motor. O2 wire would be in this harness coming from computer. O2 wire is shielded and the colors of the actual wires would not be exposed.

Note: Left is passengers side, right is drivers when facing engine from radiator.

Large harness splits off to smaller harnesses. O2 wire appears to split off a harness at the same location as another, this being above the left side of the No 1 cylinder exhaust pipe (far left side of far left pipe). The other harness goes to something on the right side of the solenoid valve for the radiator fan hydraulic motor. Location of this is right of and below where large harness comes out of firewall.

Looks like these two harnesses pop up from engine (become exposed from above) in a plane that intercepts the far right bolt attaching the passengers strut to the tower in X plane (left to right) and water temp sender for dash gauge in the Y plane (firewall to radiator).

Old 12-18-2013, 12:59 PM

I'm pretty sure I just found it. It has been cut just about 3" from the split off. any ideas how go about fixing this? could I get one off a car at a pick and pull and splice it in? it just a single white wire inside the shield, shouldn't be to hard to splice.

I am so confused about why someone would cut that off but I have been just as confused about other thing mechanics have done in the past. That's why I have never and will never hire one.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Take note of front sensor design which could be the same as rear. The sensor can have a section of wire attached and then a plug. Make sure the rear sensor does not have a cut wire.

If possible check wire color, there should be only one. White or Red/Blue depending on front or rear sensor. The sensor body is the ground wire.

If sensor OK and same as front, note front sensor plug design then search for this. There was an internet site selling all type of plugs but can't remember. Someone posted a link at this site in a past post. Might do a search on wiring plug or such.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 PM

I ended up taking it to an expert the wire is defiantly been cut and splicing isn't an option because of the risk of shorting out the $600 computer. I am going to see what he says and go from there. I figure he's going to want to run a new wire but I will just wait and see what he says and how much it is going to cost.
I have never taken any of my cars to a mechanic for anything other then tires and alignments but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Post back with your results.