DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:01 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

oil and filter change

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Smile oil and filter change

Today I decided to change the oil and filter in my new 2013 Camry LE four cylinder. And, much to my surprise I found out it didn't us a spin on oil filter. Now I thought that all the cars in the civilized world used spin on oil filters. My two Jaguars and GMC pickup certainly do. Anyway I bought my oil and the filter element. Looking at the instructions that came with the filter element I find that a special tool is needed to replace the element. And looking at the bottom of the filter under the car I don't quite understand how things are actually fit together. Went back to parts store and they looked up the tool needed, P/N 61540 LIS. But the picture just shows a big cup.

For those of you that change your own oil could you explain as to how the filter element fits together and how this big cup will remove the element.

Yes, I am stuck on the simplest task there is in car maintenance.

EZDriver

Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

There is a drain plug on the bottom of the can to drain out oil. The tool fits onto the bottom of the can and using an attached wrench allows it be be loosened, rotated and removed.

YouTube has videos on this task.

There are some precautions as not over torquing can and not breaking off the oil tube that extends into the filter.

Toyota uses a filter over a can as it is more environmentally friendly.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:46 PM

these oil changes are messy,i have a 2013 Se 4 cylinder,and this is my 2nd with this kind of filter,beware only use Toyota filter,as the aftermarket ones are smaller,and have different oil flow rates,ive noticed that the OEM filters are the same price generally as the aftermarket garbage,and some advice-I change mine every 5000 miles.not 10,000 that's way too long even for synthetic