DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

ONLY the driver's door UNLOCK, 2005 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 10:12 PM
Question ONLY the driver's door UNLOCK, 2005 Camry

Now that I am able to open my trunk (after getting it out of Valet Mode) thanks to this forum (specifically Joey), I am going to try my luck for my next issue/question.

For years now I have not been able to unlock all the doors at once (by pushing the unlock button on the door).
I can lock all four doors by pushing the Lock button but if I push the Unlock button, ONLY the driver's door is unlocked.
There is another problem with unlocking but I am not sure if they are related. The other problem is when I unlock the driver door from the outside, it unlocks just that one door (I think this is normal with just one turn of the key). BUT if I unlock the passenger front door (with just one turn of the key), it unlocks both the passenger front door AND the driver door.

Anyway, while preparing to ask this question, I found some web pages stating that it is common problem. (And I had thought my Camry was special!)
The only solution I found was posted by someone who sells his own invention (a bypass module) on eBay (for $130).
He claims that to get this fixed properly (by replacing the Car Computer/Fusebox) would cost $700 to $900.
His post is at- https://repairpal.com/car-doors-unlock-problem-747

So my question now changes to if his post is all true as well as if others have found other solutions.
For example -
Does it really cost that much to fix the problem?
Has anyone tried this guy's bypass module? (Did it work? Is it easy to follow the instructions to install? ...)
Has anyone else found an easier fix?
Other comments or ideas?

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Last edited by jmchowus; 10-23-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

The device appears to have gotten good reports at sites such as Toyotanation.com. Might ask at that site.