DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Replacing Break pads and Rotor for Toyota camry 2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 02:16 PM
Default Replacing Break pads and Rotor for Toyota camry 2004

Hello all,
I am new member in this forum and new to repair camry. last year I replaced break pads and mechanic didnt replace rotor which Cost me 400$. Now when I press break i am feeling the wheel is shaking so i am thinking to replace break pads with Front rotors. I require advise how many rotors I need to order and break pads(I checked online but it shows two rotors and break pads).

Which brand should I order for break pads and Rotors .When I try to Buy on Amazon it asked me for Brake Type But I am not sure what is the break type for 2004 toyota camry LE.

if you have link for any great video Please send it to me. I viewed some videos on youtube and getting confident I can do It.
Any Suggestion , Videos are welcome ..

Jordan

Last edited by Jordan31; 07-28-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Are you planning on doing the job yourself?

Each of the cars 4 wheels (axles) has a rotor. Each rotor has two brake pads. The front and back rotors and pads have a different design.

If the steering wheel is shaking then look into replacing the front rotors. This means two rotors and 4 pads.

The rotors are typically sold individually as in one rotor for one wheel. The pads are sold in a set that contains 4 pads to change both sides of the car. You can also also find kits that have 2 rotors and a set of pads.

When you go to order, input all the information requested for your car. It appears the 2004 LE uses the same pad and rotor for the LE model having either 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

Review the brake products available at websites such as rockauto.com. Input your cars information to narrow down the products. Any of the brake items in the Daily Driver section should be OK.

Search for videos for Camry years 2002 to 2006. When doing the job, do only one side at a time to use the other side as a reference. Can also take photos. Might remove a wheel and review the brake setup, what tools are needed, etc before doing the job. Note where all the small metal clips install.

Once you start, you need to finish to be able to drive the car. Don't press on the brake pedal unless the pads are installed!

Old 07-29-2019, 10:21 AM

Hi Joey ,
Thank you very much for your response. I am looking to change front Rotor and break pads. I will change it for both front wheels. Based on your experience do you suggest which will be good company to buy it ? I got so many options and got confuse.
also you mentioned 2004 LE model 4 or 6 cylinder uses same break pads and rotor so i will keep that in mind..

I already figure out how many things i need to replace it but really confuse which will be good rotor and break pads i am daily driver on Free Way.

Again I appreciate your effort in Guiding starter.

Jordan

Old 07-30-2019, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

I buy most auto parts from Rockauto.com. If you can't decide go to an auto parts store and have the clerk help you.

The best pads are Toyota factory. They are more expensive but don't squeak. Online Toyota dealers sell them.

Any rotor should work OK.

When looking for rotors and pads first narrow your search to the "Front" parts.

The original pads appears to be "Ceramic" which can be listed in the part description. Ceramic is a type of pad material. Semi-metallic is another type of material.

You want to get pads that come with the "hardware." This hardware helps mount the pad to the caliper that holds it. The hardware design can vary with pad manufacturer. Since you don't know what type of pads the car now has, best to get the right hardware with the new pads.

POWER STOP 17908 and BENDIX CFC908 appear to fit your car.

For rotors, this year of Camry has used two diameter of rotors which can cause confusion. The SE and XLE appears to have the larger rotor. If your car is an LE model with 4 cylinder engine then it uses the smaller diameter rotor. Diameter is listed in the part description. At the rockauto site check the INFO box.

The larger rotor diameter is 296 mm or 11.6 inches. The smaller diameter is 274.9 mm or 10.8 inch.

Some rotors are "coated" to prevent rusting of the metal surfaces.

All front rotors are "vented".