DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Starting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Default Starting issues.

Hey all! New to the forum. I picked up a 1990 Camry AWD automatic yesterday. Not exactly sure of the engine code. 2000 it says on it. Inline 4, 2.0L i assume. I got around for 40 kms and then the old girl left me high and dry stuck at work this morning. It cranks over strong only when it has a booster pack attached to the battery. I had it on the trickle charge last night and it started fine. Being about freezing this morning it didn't give me any signs of life. Not even with starter fluid directly into the throttle body. Any guesses on where I should look first? I'm guessing ignition problem of some type because i should have gotten something out of the starter fluid otherwise right? I'm not the best at trouble shooting unfortunately.

One more not about it, the car tends to no even try to crank over without the booster! After driving it around, it didn't crank over five minutes after i parked it. And the lights and accessories were still bright so i'm fairly sure that it's not the battery. Any insight you guys may have would be very appreciated!

Old 10-14-2016, 01:15 PM

I'd also like to add that it ran great when it did last night. no hesitation as i put my foot to the floor.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

If the engine is not cranking over then check the battery, battery terminal connections and battery cables. If the starter just clicks, check the starter solenoid.

If the engine turns over normally but does not start check the ign system. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor and coil. The coil case on this car can crack with age.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:08 PM

I found this link to free toyota repair manuals in pdf
the 2000 model is there
the site is slow
you have to change the page number in the top line of the site link
and keep changing the page number till you find the relevant sections of the repair manual .
.it has 3110 pages
.but might help you in this situation

.should be better adobe pdf manuals online I havent found a working link

the engine fitted is the 5S-FE

http://manuals.co/workshop/toyota/ca...nual/5576761/2

if the car didnt start with "start you mug spray "into the throttle body

spark at the plugs needs to be checked

get a screwdriver and pull one on the plug leads off
shove a screwdiver into the contact
rest the screwdriver as close to the motor as possible
look for any arc as someone else crank it over

need to find a spark plug or undo one
when undone
use the end of the spark lead to extract the plug
plug it togeather and check for spark

did the battery low charge come on ?
the battery may have low volts ...check charge rate at the battery terminals . alternator/regulator

Last edited by dirty hands; 10-14-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the insight guys. I am thinking it might be the coil too. The battery is definitely weak but the booster pack I used had no problem getting it to crank over very strong. Not sure of how it's charging. I will slap a volt meter on there when i get it running again. But no battery light while it runs so that's a good sign.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

It is possible for an alt to not be making full power due to damage and the battery light be off.