New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

95 Camry starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Cool 95 Camry starting issues

I have a 95 camry with an automatic transmission. Early one morning I pulled up to McDonlands and parked my car. Upon returning my car would not start. The radio and all other devices worked just fine. I tried jumping the care even though I didn't think it was the battery. I have an aftermarket alarm on the car so I hit the remote several times but still the same results. I called up a friend had he told me to try and shake the gear shift and see if that helps. After several shakes it started. I took the car to the shop and they checked the starter and it all checked out. He then stated that it was my ignition switch, so he replace the I.S. and about a week later the same thing happened. Again, I played with the gear shift with it in park and it started up. Can anyone tell me what could possibly be my problem. I can't afford to pay a mechanic to find the problem by financing process of elimination. Have anyone had similar problem, if so what was the solution and help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance....

Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Turning the ign key results in nothing happening at the engine, no noise, clicks, dimming interior lights, etc?

Or turning the ign key results in the engine turning over but not starting?

Or?

Old 10-19-2011, 05:40 AM

If you have to jiggle the shifter. the first thing i would do is check out the neutral switch. there is an adjustment on the transmition itslef. you put the car in neutral and check on the transmition if the lines align on the cable attachment. if it does it could be the swithc itself that is defective. you can change it or bypass it ( not safe but works ).

Old 10-25-2011, 08:22 PM

I drive a 1993 camry and I had the same thing happen to me. It turned out to be the neutral switch. I'd check that out and see if that solves the problem

Old 11-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Default 1995 Camry won't start

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Turning the ign key results in nothing happening at the engine, no noise, clicks, dimming interior lights, etc?

Or turning the ign key results in the engine turning over but not starting?

Or?
i just changed my oil and had a a drive test. all seemed normal but when i try to move my camry, it just won't start. no clicking sounds when key got turned on. lights and radio, power windows were working. put the gear to neutral and park. but it just doesn't start. what could be the problem? please help. thank you.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Default 2002 Camry Intermittent startup issue

I also have this problem. But my car has what appears to be a loose connection when you turn the key on. The lights are barely dim and no key in ignition dinging. But then will start up like nothing is wrong. Usually after some kind of movement. Like turning off and on the keys or even after slamming shut the hood. The battery cables are tight.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 PM

I have a 1994 camry i keep blowing the am 2 30 amp fuse i was looking around on the internet for possible solutions to this problem, one of the possibilitys is that it can be a rfi capacitor that went bad solution said to just clip the wire problem is which wire what color is it and which is the capacitor located in the distributor, so i open up the distributor but i don't know which one to clip! any solutions pic of the capacitor etc...

Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM

look for an online diagram for capacitor, I tried to search but can't find in Google.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

For each car year posted find the starter motor assy.

The starter assy has a large electrical cable connected to it, this is power from the battery.

There should also be a much smaller wire connected to the assy, this is the wire from the cars ign switch system.

The starter assy incorporates a starter motor and starter solenoid (a large electric powered switch).

When 12V is supplied to the switch by the small wire it is energized and the switch closes. Power flows from the large cable to through the electrical switch in the solenoid to the starter motor.

Determine if when the ign switch is turned to start, 12V is being applied to the solenoid via the small wire. If not the solenoid switch will be energized and close. You can also applies 12V from the battery via your own wire to the terminal the small wire connects to.

If power is being applied to the starter solenoid and nothing happens, no click noise, start motor movement, dimming lights, the issue is with the solenoid, battery cable cables, etc.

Caution: the large wire is connected to the battery. Watch any tools used so they don't short the cable end to metal on the car.