DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Transmission Fubar

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:03 PM
Default Transmission Fubar

So this past Friday was my off day at work, but I had to go in. Started having bad tranny issues on the way - hard shifting, RPM revving up high then shifting. On my way home the gears gave out; pressing the gas pedal revs the engine but no movement in any gear - no gear would engage at all. It would work for a moment, then not, then work, then not. Had to tow it home (43 miles).

Hooked up my TechStream and it told me my solenoids were stuck open (or low trans fluid, dirty trans fluid, etc. P0746 and others like it to cover A-C solenoids). So I got busy and replaced the transmission pan filter. Took off the 17mm transmission mount nuts and jacked the tranny up so I could access the 5 evil bots on the trans pan. Pulled the pan and replaced the filter, o-ring and gasket. This is what my filter looked like. Yuck.

Name:  DSC00575_zpsa4lxmh9i.jpg
Views: 5267
Size:  557.6 KB

Good news was no egregious metal in the pan, just some filings sticking to the magnets. Never done this before so I don't know what excessive filings would amount to, but was not very bad.

Put in the new filter, got the gasket in place, and worked my magic on the 5 evil bolts and the 13 easy ones. Then lowered the tranny back down and did a once over pass to make sure I had even snug on all my bolts. And of course - broke one of the g-d bolts. GRRRRRRRRRRRR. Now I have to tap that sucker out, buy a new bolt, and replace it. Yay. Seems like I always have something like this happen when I work on the car. Never easy

Old 03-29-2015, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Could be the screen was too plugged up and as a result the hydraulic pressure too low.

Plus debris inside the valve body causing problems.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Looks pretty bad! Let us know how things turn out.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:13 AM

A pic of the busted bolt:

Name:  DSC00573_zpsjpdiekna.jpg
Views: 3333
Size:  308.6 KB

I have 6 on order from the stealership, will be in Wednesday. Only $1.46 each. I started drilling the bolt but the drill bit broke. I am hell on angled torque I guess. Have to get another bit and then put in the tap to screw that busted bolt piece out. If anyone ever needs a trans pan bolt, it is part number 90080-11496 for the 2007-2011 Camry. You can see it as diagram number 35106E below.

Name:  image001_zpsvwrnnieh.png
Views: 6469
Size:  448.6 KB

Old 04-03-2015, 09:40 PM

So I need some guru help here. I replaced that filter, fixed my busted bolt, and re-filled the transmission. I disconnected the return hose from the radiator so I could pump out all the old fluid and replace with new fluid. This is the flow rate I got:

It is way to slow, I have a blockage it seems. When I reconnected everything and opted to test drive it, I get the same issues: loss of transmission then it returns hard, CEL came on, and TechStream again popped up with P0746 (Pressure control solenoid A Performance or stuck off). From what I can find, the top things are dirty fluid (fixed that), low fluid (not on mine), or probably blocked solenoid. So I need to remove solenoids A - C (all had the same error code prior) and check them for debris.

Thing is, where are they? I have this graphic:

Name:  2az-fe%20transmission_zpswznhgkbv.jpg
Views: 10988
Size:  83.4 KB

but no idea where the solenoids are. Wondering if I get to them via the valve body. Anyone know?

Last edited by DIYDad; 04-04-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Photobucket has no photos of the fluid flow.

Is the trans a U250E, if so see link:

http://www.atraonline.com/gears/2009.../2009_1_18.pdf

Old 04-04-2015, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Photobucket has no photos of the fluid flow.

Is the trans a U250E, if so see link:

http://www.atraonline.com/gears/2009.../2009_1_18.pdf
Thanks, this helps. It is a U250E, so it does match in saying a single pressure control solenoid. I wonder why the 0746, 0776 and 0796 codes then, pointing to A, B, C?

I fixed my link to point to the video I intended.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

You disconnected the output line from the cooler on radiator back to trans pan, trans was full of oil and engine running. If so, the oil should be coming out at rate to fill the container within a minute or minutes. A steady flow coming out.

If none, the trans oil pump intake is plugged with debris, the pump has failed, the pressure regulator has failed, stuck, etc or cooler or hoses plugged, or excess clearance in the valve body components is causing pressure problems.

The link below explains the fluid flow:

Anatomy of a Transmission: Oil Flow in the Pump-PR-Converter-Cooler Lube Circuits - Sonnax

Low pressure can damage a transmission.

As to all the codes suggest dealing with the no flow condition first. Low or no pressure may be causing the valves not to shift inside the valve body triggering this or that code.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:58 AM

I'm hoping it's the pressure regulator, as that is what the DTC is saying. This week, after coming home, I plan to begin dismantling the thing to get to the solenoid and replace it. Fingers crossed.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Remember, the pressure regulator valve is fully inside the valve body. The solenoid is part inside and part external. The electrical current to the solenoid varies to shift the solenoid valve position. This varies pressure to hydraulic ports to shift the pressure regulator valve to vary line pressure. The higher the solenoid current, the lower the pressure.

This would be the SLT solenoid. Code P1760.