ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

'04 XLE: Upgrade Stock JBL Stereo to OEM Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 04:19 PM
Default '04 XLE: Upgrade Stock JBL Stereo to OEM Navigation

Hey folks,

I drive an '04 Camry XLE, currently equipped with the upgraded JBL sound system (no navigation). I'm trying to go about upgrading the unit to the OEM Navigation unit (similar to this one), but trying to determine if the GPS will work out of the box. Perhaps I need to install an antennae myself? How can I go about that?
Thanks for your advice here. Thanks!

FYI: The OEM Navigation unit part no. is 86120-33400. Is this the right one?

Old 02-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

86120-33400 appears to be correct unit.

It appears the replacement is straight forward if the radio already has a remote amplifier such as with JBL

There are LOTS of threads, video's, etc on installing a GPS antenna. The antenna can be installed inside or outside the car. If inside consider issues that might impede the signal such as heated rear window and windshield mounted OEM radio. Some types of window tints have issues as well as some types of windshield solar tint. Its very possible for a GPS to function normally with no external antenna as evidenced by hand held Garmin or brand road map GPS units.

For an external antenna the aftermarket GPS and Sirius radio installers tend to mount an antenna on the roof near the top of the windshield and centered between windshield. The antenna looks like the one in link below. The antenna glues on. The wire is routed under the dash then up around the drivers side door jam, then up to the roof. Forget the details but Youtube and other DIY stereo sales sites should have videos or instructions. This type of installation is SOP for aftermarket installers.

https://www.pasternack.com/single-an...iABEgKXmvD_BwE

One thing to CONSIDER is the Toyota OEM GPS product can have issues such as screens that stop working, freezing, etc. Suggest researching complaints about these GPS systems. Some vehicle owners have replaced their OEM units with aftermarket as the cost to repair and or replace the OEM was too high.

Research if this GPS has rear mounted camera if this is something you want.