ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

1986 Toyota Camry Fuel/Ignition issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Default 1986 Toyota Camry Fuel/Ignition issue

I have an 86 Camry that will not start. Turns over, but won't start. Thought it was the fuel pump, (no fuel getting to the filter up front) Replaced fuel pump and filter. No spark. Replaced distributor and rotor. (Distributor cap pin was blown off..) Still no spark. Replaced Ignition coil and module. Still no spark. HELP! I know it's old but gets great gas mileage! What else could it be? And is it worth fixing? Thanks for any and all help!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:26 AM

They say that all car *No Start Problems* are more Ignition Related than Fuel Related**

So on that note.... Perhaps check all of your fuses (physically, making sure the fuse element connects all the way across), then consider maybe checking the pick-up resistances on your replacement distributor to ensure that they are in spec.(had this annoying problem when I first bought my 1988 Camry Alltrac -> ..would run, then, mysteriously die after warming up due to a bad distributor pick-up). Good to hear that you changed out your coil, they can become bad too, again, check its resistance readings to spec. After all of that fun is done for the Ignition system & passes, try swapping your similar horn relay(after making sure it works the horn*) with your EFI fuel system relay inside the fuse box of your engine bay, and see if that helps anything. Then, perhaps with an assitstant to turn your key ON as you get yourself ready by the fuel tank(assistant not trying to start the car just turning the key to the ON position), try listening to see if you hear your fuel pump try to pressure up your fuel system(*after you make sure that it has been depressurized or at least loose somewhere*), see if you can hear its wonderful ´humming´ for a 5 second spell or so.... After this, try jamming your AFM (strange looking big sensor mechanism connected just downstream of your air filter box) door open(small screwdriver or sock works), with ignition key ON(turning on all of your dash lights), to see if yes you are getting your injectors ´humming´ and some gas pressure coming to your cold start injector... Also, making sure that your timing belt is in good condition and in perfect time is very good to ensure as well(camshaft sprocket ´mark´ is timed with O crankshaft degrees on pulley(in-line with the 0 plastic timing indicator) which is also in coordination with when your distributor rotor is pointing at #1 Cylinder spark wire inside the distributor cap - yes, have to take off cap to try to see if is about right).

For me, I have done all of these things systematically as I am suffering the same hellish general symptom with my 1988 Alltrac(which I still ´like´ $&#& believe me), though I am getting good spark & have my timing in order. My personal mission at the moment is to find a thing called a C.O.R.(Circuit Opening Relay) relay, it is supposed to be something along the lines of a solenoid-based(internally) type of relay which is in control of... - if a late 80´s Camry can have its fuel pump activated with Key On - ..or not if defective. I have torn out a lot of my dash looking for this precious & elusive jewel, but still have not found it.... (I have even found a picture of it on Rock Auto Parts, but this still doesn´t help me....man) Perhaps, if you get might get to this point(hopefully not), you might find out for you and you could tell me....

Good luck, hopefully I have given you some sort of decent advise, *late 80´s Camry´s honestly(89´s+) are ´normally´ truly fabulous cars*, cheers, Derik

Old 03-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

For Dawn:

Find some service data on the car. Haynes service manual (less the $20), the AutoZone website has make/model/year data in the sites vehicle repair guides, your local library may have manuals. This service data will have test criteria rather then needed to guess.

Check the ign fuse.

Check that power is available at the igniter and coil when ign is on, Black/Orange wire.

Have some one turn the engine over while you watch the rotor, make sure it is turning (timing belt OK).

For Derik, try looking behind the glove box. Supposed to be near the engine computer.