ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

1MZ-FE wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by J Sparrow
BTW how are you eading "power" to the injectors? It's a pretty fast pulse. are you cranking the engine?
As far as the ecu, I can only assume it's good. The engine was pulled out of a donor car that was totaled in an accident.

Im reading power by turning my key in the ignition to the "ON" position and taking readings with a multimeter. I'm getting 11.97-12 volts to each coil's power wire. I'm using the same technique to the fuel injectors. Incorrect method?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

I thought the ECU grounded or completed the electrical circuit for the injectors. One wire to the injector would always be powered (ign key On, etc.). The ECU would pulse the injector by grounding (I though) the other wire.

Some injector circuits had a resistor in the meaning the injector may NOT operate at 12V rather something like 3-4V as the resistor reduced the voltage. Don't apply 12V directly to the injector wires until you determine what voltage the injector operates at.

But, the manual states the pulse generated between the ECU injector connections and ground should be between 9 and 14V. Since this is a pulse the meter may not be fast enough to read full voltage output.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Since this is a pulse the meter may not be fast enough to read full voltage output.
Hm. Very interesting. I just realized that every time I check the voltage it flashes some number so fast I can't see it, turns to -00.00, then to 00.00 all in the course of maybe 2 seconds.

I wonder if I'm getting power, just no fuel?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

There is a device called a Noid light that is used to test the injector electrical circuit. The light connects to the injector circuit and illuminates every time the injector is powered.

You might use a section of rubber hose as a stethoscope, place one end on an injector and listen for a click as the injector opens and closes.

Remember the original car (and perhaps the MR2) had a couple of circuits that prevented the fuel pump from running if the engine was off and but the ign key on. One circuit determines if the starter is being cranked, the other if the distributor circuit is now sending out a signal (the engine is running).

Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 PM

Ok. So now the car started, then died. No check engine light. Im trying to wire up an OBDII port, but I don't have one.

Any readers have an extra one to sell for some strange reason?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked the fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator. The engine may? still have a fuel return system that routes excess fuel back to the tank. On this system the regulator responds to manifold pressure via a small hose to control fuel pressure.

The fuel pressure system was not be monitored in Camry's of this year thus no trouble codes would show up. The 1995 Camry with V6 was ODBII compliant (at least in part?).

Have you tried asking for help at Toyotanation or other sites? Toyotanation has a pretty good MR2 section. MR2 members might be very interested in this kind of engine swap.

The link below has the wiring for the ODBII port:

http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

Old 03-17-2010, 02:47 AM

Muchos gracias.

That diagram was extremely helpful. Tomorrow (today) will entail a trip to scrap yards all around until I find a Toyota with an OBDII port.

the 95 was listed as fully compliant...and I believe it, while it has a diagnostics port, nearly 3/4 of the pins within it are non-existent. If OBDII doesn't pull any codes, Ill check fuel as you suggested.

When I started this project I was very very bad at wiring. It's beyond possible I messed up sensor wiring somewhere and it's not getting the signal it wants. Just too many wires to check and double check every day.

I'll keep you updated-thanks again for the help and information!

-Quinn

Old 03-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Installed the OBDII port...incorrectly I guess, because my computer isn't reading anything. Im guessing it has something to do with how wrong my wiring diagrams are about this wire.

On page 83, about halfway down, labeled 'Data Link Connector 3' is the OBDII port. The white wire labeled SDL that goes to E10 pin 28 on the ECU is incorrect or something, because pin 28 of my E10, is Brown, not white and wired to it, OBDII port does nothing.
http://camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen3/G...ry94wiring.pdf

Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

The 1994 wiring is different then the 1995. The 1994 car was not ODBII compliant.

Did you pick up a ODBII plug for a Camry? If so what pins does the ODBII plug have installed?

The 1999 wiring diagram shows 4 wires to data connector 3. White, Brown, Black, White/Black.

White is SIL (a shielded wire perhaps the signal wire), Brown is SG (appears to be the ECU ground?), Black 12V DC, White/Black is chassis ground.

Best can figure out on the ODBII plug: Pin 4 is chassis ground, Pin 5 is signal ground (perhaps ECU ground), pin 16 is battery power. This leaves pin 7 or 15 for the SIL. Assuming the car uses the ISO-9141 protocol as stated in the previous link provided.

Might do a Google search on what type of protocol Toyota uses.

But just a guess.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 AM

It's looking like i just made a big uh-oh with clips. For some reason every few weeks I get E7 and E10 on the ECU confused...and that's what I think I did. So I'll be looking in to that.

And my understanding (and I very well could be wrong) is that ALL 1MZ-FE were OBDII compliant, just 1994 was like...partially compliant or something, not positive, but the 1994 wiring diagram does have wiring for an OBDII port.

Will let you know what happens tomorrow when I re-wire accordingly.

Quick Reply: 1MZ-FE wiring