ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

2001 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Default 2001 Camry

How do I reset the computer to get rid of check engine light?

Old 07-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Default RE: 2001 Camry

Get an obd2 reader/scanner from any local auto parts store. Or even have them reset it for you , most places will check and/or reset it for you . That is the safest way and only one you should be interested in .

Old 07-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2001 Camry

if you've figured and fixed the problem, you just have to unplug the battery from the car for ~ 15 minutes. If you've truely fixed that problem (and any others), the CEL should not come back on.
You typically only need to unplug the postive terminal, but you can do both + and - for good measure...haha.

Just know you will loose radio presets and if you've got some aftermarket security system, please make sure you know the procedure for disconnecting/reconnecting the power to the system.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:05 PM

Hi, I have a 2001 Toyota Camry Le 4cyl, had work done at a shop and check engine light was cleared, they told me to hit the freeway and drive 25 minutes keeping constant speed and I would be good to go as far as the obd 2 would be reset and ready when I went to get it smogged. I drove it as instructed went to smog, not ready, so I paid for a smog and had one free retest. Drove another day and put more miles on car went back and still not ready?? How freaking long does it take to reset? I am afraid to go back and retest and loose my $$$.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

The emissions test checks for the "readiness" of the cars various systems such as emissions converter, A/F sensors, EVAP system, etc, etc, etc. The emissions test center is not the only entity that can check for system readiness. An ODBII scanner used by repair shops and DIY'ers should be able to do the same job.

As to what it takes to get all systems ready, don't know for sure. Your mechanic may have simplified the solution too much or the car may have other problems then ones fixed and these systems are not ready. This is because each system has its own test criteria such as driving at a certain MPH, with a certain throttle position, certain idle time, etc. Some tests can be completed in minutes while others take much longer as in a week and 100+ miles. Its not the time or miles so much as the type of driving done.

The link below provides some info on just what might need to be done driving wise to get each system ready.

https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/t...ess-procedure/

Depending on your state emissions test pass criteria the car might be allowed to have one incomplete readiness test and still pass a emissions test.

If you have access to an ODBII reader, it should be able to check the readiness status of each system. Knowing which systems are not ready, you can modify the driving procedure to get those systems ready.

Suggest since the mechanic's advice is not working to contact said repair shop. Ask if you can stop by and have a scanner hooked up in preparation for the smog test. The mechanic (or whoever does the scan) can tell from the scanner which systems are not ready.

Knowing which systems are not ready, you can research these systems to find info such as in the link provided above. Then with this info modify your driving and to get these systems ready.

Depending on your state, some emissions test centers will loan out a device that plugs into the ODBII port that indicates when all systems are ready. Emissions test personally should be well versed in the trials and tribulations of system readiness.