ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

2001 camry ignition switch issue.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 01:23 AM
Default 2001 camry ignition switch issue.

Hi
well here is yet another issue popping up in my camry. During my working day I make many stops in my car and I don't get out of the car straight away, so I like to leave my radio going. However today when shutting the engine off, everything went off as I turned the key. It seemed the radio etc stayed off then it came back in by itself after a couple of seconds. Usually just the radio and fan would stay on till i turned the key right off. Also intermitttently the radio has turned itself off and back on when I have touched the switch of the fan or used the electric window. The car had a number of other weird quirks with the clock previously but they were resolved with a new battery and terminals. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Worn out barrel or switch or a relay? Thanks so much.

Kaybee

Old 12-06-2019, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

The ign switch is two switches gained together. One controls accessories and the other the gn system.

Was the radio off? Is the radio the stock Camry unit?

Old 12-06-2019, 03:39 PM

Hi
the unit is an after market head unit which I installed using wiring harness plug and play. Honestly I'm having so many issues with this car I don't know where to begin. I just went out to check it out and it was working normally again. There is another issues involving the accessory belt area where ever since puttinf a new one it chirps when I start it. I've tensioner it again and it still chirps. Before I changed it there was some squeaking coming from the alternator. It's still noisy but not issues charging. I had it tested. Anyway the air conditioner compressor has decided to starting squeaking making the belt squeal as well. I'm going to check the belt tension again. I'm not sure if this issue could be linked to all of the others. Just about at my wits end with it. Another thing is that my electric aerial is not always going fully down. It's very noisy when operating. The only redeeming features of my camry is it doesn't use oil or water and it looks lovely and runs smoothly. Thank you for your help and I apologise for the confusing descriptions. Thanks K

Old 12-06-2019, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Does the equipment powered by the squeaking belt(s) have good bearings? A dragging bearing can cause a belt to slip.

Once a belt starts slipping it can be damaged (glazed pulley contact surfaces). Then tightening the belt may not result in eliminating the noise. The fix is a new belt.

Also look at the equipment pulleys for glazing (shinny metal surfaces). If found break up the glaze with sand paper. The internet has videos on how to do this.

The factory radio has two power electrical power sources. One powers the actually radio through the ign switch (blue/yellow wire). The other power source maintains the radio station settings (radio memory) (Gray wire)

Does the radio have a built in amplifier or use a remote amp?

Old 12-06-2019, 10:57 PM

Hi the radio has a built in amp I'm pretty sure. Funny thing today I noticed my electric aerial was only going up and tiny amount and not going all the way back in. I only had some wd40 here so gave it a squirt. Anyway it's now going up and down freely and I haven't had the issue with the accessories or radio turning off. It was playing up most of yesterday. I wonder if the aerial being a bit seized up could cause the radio to power off. Thanks. K

Old 12-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

There is a wire going to the antenna motor control for up/down.

You sure the radio was not powered on but had no signal with the antenna down?