ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

97' Camry Tachometer probs

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Default 97' Camry Tachometer probs

Hi everyone,
Is anyone else with a 97' camry having problems with their tachometer not working, or working occasionally. Usually the only time my tachometer works is when i go on long trips and things like that, i'm starting to think like the sensor is bad or just the gauge cluster is bad. Any input on this problem will be helpful.... its not really urgent but i'd like everything in my camry to work you know... its like... a pet peeve for my tach to just stay at 0 lol... thanks everyone!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Default RE: 97' Camry Tachometer probs

I have to preface this post with " just guessing here" . On the relevant circuit diagram, I see the tachometer connected through the 10 A Gauge fuse ... this should be the one in the fuse box beneath the steering wheel. Why not just remove this Gauge fuse and replace it with a known good one? Maybe spray a little electrical contact cleaner in the empty fuse socket to remove any humidity or dust build up. ... Which engine do you have?
regards
Dave

Old 03-28-2007, 08:20 AM

i have 1mz v6, but wouldnt all my gauges be out if it was the fuse?

Old 03-29-2007, 08:17 AM

.... That could be. Consider these suggestions:
There are two or three specific junction connectors that pass the tachometer signal from the engine control module to the combination meter, where the tachometer electronics are located.
These are J27(A), J28(B), and IG3.
First, download the electrical wiring diagram from:
http://www.camrymanuals.com/index.ph...topicid=0&
Page 31 of this pdf shows the location of J27(A) and J28(B).
Page 40 shows the location of IG3.
Access the relevant connectors on the lower rhs of the passenger compartment. It looks like you might have to remove the glove box, ... not too sure about that. ... There should be at least one 'black wire with an orange stripe' going into the relevant connectors.
When you have located these connectors, just disconnect them, spray them liberally with electronic contact cleaner, and reassemble, making sure that everything has latched properly.
If this procedure does not fix the problem, then there is the possibility of an internal malfunction someplace, maybe within the combination meter.
There is also a tachometer signal connection on the engine control module itself. ... Dealing with this would probably involve removing and reinstalling the the EC module. .... I have not yet looked at that procedure.
Are you sure there are no other symptoms to consider?

Old 03-30-2007, 04:15 PM

No, it just randomly comes on then stops working from time to time, thats the only symptom...... i'll try looking over the diagrams and see what i can come up with.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:29 PM

An intermittent symptom like you describe could easily be a dirty connection terminal. The pdf pages show you where to look under the right front dash panel. I don't think the glove box is in the way, but you might have to lift the carpet up a little. Get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner, take the connectors apart, one at time, and spray both terminal faces. ... It's definitely worth a try. ... Sometimes just high humidity can cause an electrical contact sort of problem.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:51 AM

hmmm, the only other thing i can think of is randomly when the car isnt even started and the key is just forward... the tach kinda goes crazy... like it spins and stuff... but thats about it... thanks for the info and i'll be sure to try it out when i get the time

Old 04-01-2007, 04:32 PM

... definitely sounds like a bad connection someplace, ... just can't pinpoint it at this time. It's either the connectors already mentioned, or else a bad ground connection, or possibly even a wire that has been rubbing against something and is shorted out at times. Maybe if you wait a while it will get worse, and you will have a more definite idea as to where the problem could be located.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:32 AM

its been going on like this for almost a year lol, thats a pretty long time.... well i havent had time to test the connectors you mentioned above.I did however, change the fuse in the compartment under my steering wheel and it didnt fix it. I have still yet to try the other idea though, thanks for the help by the way.