ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Battery Problem & Power Stearing Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:33 AM
Default Battery Problem & Power Stearing Question

Hi, I am new to this forum and am not too sure if i am posting in the correct section or not. here are my two questions

1) i bought a 91 Camry and the day i got it, a new battery was put in it. even when we did this the battery light keeps comming on and off. Now it has got to the point where the car sometimes does not turn on and we have to jump start it. I live out in the country and sometime i have no power point or other cars around me. plus there are not auto electricians that can look at it here. i will have to take it back to perth to get looked at. But before i do i just wanted to see if anyone had an idea of what it could be.

2) the power stearing fluid keeps leaking and the guy i got it from said that there is a leak in the pump. is this likely to be the case.

I have a 93 camry sitting in the garage with a blown engine coz my worker forgot to notice and tell me that the oil light had been on. i was wondering if the i need parts can i take the parts from the 93 and use them on the 91. specially for the power stearing pump i was wanting to know.

let me know if i should post this thread somewhere else.

Thanks in advance for anyones help on this topic.

Thanks

Jo

Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

If the alt light is coming on, the issue could be the alt output. If you have a volt meter check the voltage at the battery between the battery terminals.

With engine running at 2000 rpm voltage should be 13.9-15.1 volts (assumes light is off).

If the alt light is on, the alt is not putting out power.

My guess is the brushes inside the alt are wearing out. Toyota may sell new brushes or a brush pack. Or try Rockauto website. You can pull out the brushes and check for excess wear.

The pack can be replaced easy enough without taking the alt apart.

For the PS pump suggest checking part numbers at the Rockauto website and determining if the are the same between years. Might be no as the 91 and 93 are different generations of Camry.

The Rockauto website may sell a drive shaft seal kit or try the dealer.

Might also take a look at the alternator to determine if it is the same or at least close enough. Again check part numbers.

If the parts are original Toyota, I suggest you make an attempt to repair them as these days after market rebuilt units (except Toyota) can be junk out of the box.