General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

dead battery, new battery, not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Default dead battery, new battery, not starting

Hi Everyone,

My 1998 Camry functioned normally at the last use. It sat in the garage for three days before I needed it again. The battery was dead - about five volts. I hooked it up to a charger for several hours until the voltage was about 12.8. The anti-theft alarm sounded when I opened the door. The car would not start. The anti-theft alarm would not cease when the key was used to unlock the door or the trunk. The battery was seven years old. I tested the battery with a hygrometer and the result was questionable so I bought a new battery. The car still does not start, the alarm still sounds when the door is opened and the alarm will not cease when the key is used to open the door or the trunk.

I would be appreciative if anyone can offer some insight as to how to rectify the problem.

Thanks

Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

The engine turns over but does not start?

Have you tried locking all the doors then unlocking the drivers side with the master key?

Is this a Toyota factory or dealer installed alarm of aftermarket?

Is there a blinking red light on the dash?

Look under the dash for a push button or toggle reset switch. If you find one turn ign switch on then press button or hold switch until alarm chips one time. This should reset the system.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:43 PM

Sorry, for the lack of clarity - when I try to start the car, there is no click, no starter, no turning over of the engine - just dash lights and alarm. Yes, it is a factory alarm. Yes there is a lighted button to the left of the steering column, but I haven't yet tried holding it while while turning the ignition switch. I'll try it after dinner. Yes, I have tried locking the doors and opening the driver's door with the master key, but it had no effect.

Thanks

Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho

Look under the dash for a push button or toggle reset switch. If you find one turn ign switch on then press button or hold switch until alarm chips one time. This should reset the system.

That worked - thanks much.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Great!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 AM

great!!!!!!!!!