ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Break Lights won't go on. 91' camry.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:37 AM
Default Break Lights won't go on. 91' camry.

I have a 91' v6 Camry sedan and when I step on my breaks, the break lights don't go on. the tail lights work, as do the reverse light. and the bulbs are good, but i don't know whats going on. is it a blown fuse? if so which one and where can i find it. could it be the solinoid? how much would one of those cost me? and where could i get one? My final question is..... what are some of the reacuring problems that you people have with you 91' V6 toyota camrys. Thank you for you help, anything will help. It's my first and only car. so please heeeeeeelp me! Again Thank You.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Break Lights won't go on. 91' camry.

There may be a STOP fuse most likely located behind the instrument panel drivers side about where you left knee would be. If the car has an ash tray or small glove box here look behind the box.

Most likely the issue is the brake light switch, this turns the lights on and off. The switch is located under the dash look around the upper part of the brake lever that drops down to the pedal. The lever moves the switch to open/close it. You should be able to see the switch.

Make sure the switch is working, you should here a click from it when moving the pedal. The switch may be bad or need adjusting.

If the switch is OK the issue may be with the tail light out sensor. There should be an indicator light on the dash that turns on if a tail or brake lamp burns out. Is this indicator on?

Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 AM

No, that light is not on, but i did check that switch by the break peddel and it's loose. i tightend it and the lights worked for a few hoursbut then it loosened up again and the lights don't work now. how do i tighten it so it will stay tight. Also, when i tightend it my breaks felt like they wheren't working very well. Almost as if they went out, but they didn't. My breaks are back to normal, other than the break lights. Thanks for your help. Hope to hear from you soon.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure the lock nut on the switch mounting threads is tight.

Make sure the switch position is not adjusted to far in as to effect the brake pedal operation.