ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

HID Theory, What do you think??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Default HID Theory, What do you think??

Okay, here’s my theory and I want to see if you guys agree with me. I have a 2003 Camry, currently I have a HID kit on my 9006 low beam lights. I’m using a relay wiring harness from my battery instead of running the ballast through my factory wiring. I’m wanting to put in some fog lights since my car did not come with any, and I’m wanting to put a HID kit on my fog lights. What I’m thinking about doing is using another relay harness, plugging it into my other factory wire, and then running it to the fog lights, so that when I turn on my head lights, my fog lights will turn on also, igniting the ballast, and in turn turning on my fog lights. By doing this, I’m thinking that I won’t need to use the wiring that would come with the fog lights, since the relay will be attached to my head lights, just as my HID kit is for my low beams. The relay harness for my HID headlights only uses one of my factory plugs, and my fog lights would use the other factory plug, therefore not needing the wiring harness for the fog lights. Do you guys think that this would work?

Old 12-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: HID Theory, What do you think??

You want to power the HID low beam ballast from the battery but control it via a relay going to the wiring plug of one of the cars low beam?

Then do the same for the fog lights?

Old 12-31-2008, 05:46 PM

Yes, when I turn on my lights my factory wiring harness will power the relay to my low beams, as well and the relay to my fog lights, thus not needing to use any type of wiring for the fog lights, just the factory plug to the relay, the relay to my battery and the HID ballast, and then the ballast to my fog lights, and the separate HID kit to my low beams, it should work right?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

This shoud work. Suggest you install an inline fuse in any circuit coming off the battery.

As to your other post on how/where to install suggest a Google search as many others have installed fog lights on Camry. Might also check with your states department of vehicles, some states have restrictions on installation height.