ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Headlight buzzer needed ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Default Headlight buzzer needed ...

Currently there is a small indicator light that lets me know when my headlights are on. It's just on whenever the headlights are on.

What I'd like to have is a buzzer (I'm sure I have a 12V buzzer around the shop somewhere that I can use), that will sound whenever I get out of the car when the headlights are left on.

Is there a way I can hook up a buzzer through my door light switch that would sound if the headlights are left on? It would also be fine if it buzzes when the key is removed if there is a way to do that.

I'm just not sure what the circuit would look like to do this, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks for any "light" you can shed on this!
This is on my 84 Camry DLX.

Last edited by Camry84; 11-05-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Auto parts stores sell a low cost add on buzzer unit.

The unit taps into one of the fuses powering the headlights, tail, etc and another fuse that is powered when the ignition switch is on. The unit wires have a connection clip that is placed between the fuse and fuse box and does not required cutting any wires.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:21 AM
Default Thanks!

Thanks again Joey!

No sense in reinventing the wheel, I'll pick up a kit. (Must use a Mosfit to trigger the buzzer)

I'll probably just splice into a wire rather than do the fuse connection (I think I'd rather make it permanent and leave the fuse box wire free).

I'm assuming I can just go by the directions in the kit and trace which wire to tap into. (unless you happen to know a color code there ... OR I can refer to the link you gave me for AutoZone ... ya, I should probably do that and check out the resource anyway.)

Thanks for the help Joey, it's appreciated!!
My Camry thanks you too ...

Last edited by Camry84; 11-05-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

You should be able to use the same wire the fog lights are on assuming you wired them to an ign on only source of power.

Try the AutoZone website vehicle repair guide section for a wiring diagram. You will need to sign up for a password but the site has lots of good info.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Exclamation AutoZone Repair Guides

Hi Joey,

I went to the AutoZone website and now have my two vehicles in my Profile there. Great resource, lots of details and great wiring diagrams!

This will be a great help, I just got a good solderless wiring kit and want to have spare bulbs, fuses etc handy so everything is working as it should in both vehicles. Camry's in good shape in respect to wiring but my Pickup needs to be gone through and some connections redone and wiring protected. I picked up some split loom, heatshrink and wire-ties so I can do the job right.

Thanks again for the link, good find!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Default 1990 Toyota Camry HEadlight Buzzer

MAde an account just to post this because I was looking for a long time and couldn't find the same fuse wiring i needed. I have a v6 1990 camry and I just installed a tiny buzzer from Radio Shack (12V, $3.50). I put the black end of the wire on the #1 Gauge fuse and the red end on the #4 tail fuse in the drivers side kickpanel fuse box. Buzzer comes on if I turn off the ignition and my lights are still on. The buzzer is not on when the lights are on and the ignition is on. Should save me a lot of trouble!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info on the buzzer, should help others.