ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Headlight gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Default Headlight gremlins

'93 Camry LE 2.2. The headlights have started coming on by themselves, intermittently. The switch is off but lights are on. I have to turn switch on then off to get them to go off. Any help is welcomed.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Does the car have auto headlight turn off, daytime running lights or is a Canada car?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM

Yes, auto headlight turn off, no daytime running lights, not Canadian. Just discovered one low beam out and replaced it. Don't know if that affects anything.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 PM

maybe the wiring got mixed up, where it should be on it turns off vice-versa.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 PM

Headlights came on again today while driving. I have to keep it switched to highbeam so I will notice the blue indicator, otherwise no indication head lights are on with switch off.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

The lights should be off when the light switch is off. There is a solid state relay that controls auto light off operation when the light switch is left on. Don't know if this relay has failed.

The light switch control when turned to lights off should disconnect a ground wire coming from the auto light circuit to keep the lights off.

Suppose it's possible the switch is bad. If you are handy with tools remove the upper cover on the steering column then look for a white/black wire coming out of the light combination switch arm.

When the lights are OFF this wire which runs to ground should not be grounded by the light switch. You could disconnect the wire and determine if this solves the problem.

The system also works with a switch on the drivers door jam. If light switch on and door now opens the lights should turn off. Make sure the switch is not sticking closed or open.

Also check for a malfunctioning headlight relay which actually controls power to the headlights. Location is engine compartment, left side inside a plastic box having one diagonal corner. Perhaps the relay is sticking on. Tap the relay with something in case it is stuck to perhaps unstick it.

And next time this happens determine if the tail lights are also on.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:40 PM

Thanks Joey, good advise. It is very intermittent. The next time I notice lights on I will pull over and first check if tail lights are also on then tap on the relay.

As for the switch ground wire. If I keep the cover off and next time lights come on with the switch off should I disconnect the ground wire and the lights should go off? This would indicate a problem in the switch?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Yes to the last part.

The switch grounds various electrical connections to the auto off switch circuits to turn various lights on. For running lights, the running light circuit is grounded. Running and head lights, another wire would be grounded If the ground wire for the switch is disconnected, the lights should be off.

It is not common for the switch to "turn on" by itself. Typically it fails to make a connection when turned on. But worth a shot.

You are trying to check other possible causes before having to deal with the auto off circuits. Still solid state devices tend to fail on or off, not cycle on and off when it supposed to be off.