ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Issues with 2008 Camry nav system

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Default Issues with 2008 Camry nav system

I'm going to post my gripes here and hope I'm doing something wrong and someone will happily, snidely tell me what to do to get things to work:

1). No turn-by-turn voice. This is the biggest issue since it's safety related. It requires you to watch the screen constantly which is an obvious danger. I do have the two voice options turned on and from the time it tells me to get to the highlighted route until I actually get to my destination, the system is silent.

2). No auto recalculation. I have other nav systems in other cars and if I deviate from the listed route, it will automatically recalculate my new route. This system just ignores any changes. If a road is closed or there is a detour it won't take that into account once I'm off the road.

3). Voice recognition is poor. When driving I can only use the voice activation to get an address listed, but the voice recognition is poor to terrible. As a test it took me 30 mins to get an address in. I actually was at the address by time it took it and even then told me that address didn't exist, and I was sitting in the parking lot.

4). Address database is substandard. Of the dozen or so times I've tried to use the system, it's found the address only once.

5). The menu system and path to follow to do anything is anything but intuitive. This has to be the most confusing set of menus and options I have ever seen.

I have a 2003 Acura MDX and I have yet to open the book on it's nav system and both my wife and I have never had any real trouble figuring out how to make it work. We also had a 2001 Lexus and it's nav system was on the same par as the Acura's, easy to use and accurate. I also have a Garmen and while much smaller, is still easy to use.

Can anyone address or suggest what to do about any of the above items?

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Default RE: Issues with 2008 Camry nav system

ORIGINAL: bitstone

I'm going to post my gripes here and hope I'm doing something wrong and someone will happily, snidely tell me what to do to get things to work:

1). No turn-by-turn voice. This is the biggest issue since it's safety related. It requires you to watch the screen constantly which is an obvious danger. I do have the two voice options turned on and from the time it tells me to get to the highlighted route until I actually get to my destination, the system is silent.

2). No auto recalculation. I have other nav systems in other cars and if I deviate from the listed route, it will automatically recalculate my new route. This system just ignores any changes. If a road is closed or there is a detour it won't take that into account once I'm off the road.

3). Voice recognition is poor. When driving I can only use the voice activation to get an address listed, but the voice recognition is poor to terrible. As a test it took me 30 mins to get an address in. I actually was at the address by time it took it and even then told me that address didn't exist, and I was sitting in the parking lot.

4). Address database is substandard. Of the dozen or so times I've tried to use the system, it's found the address only once.

5). The menu system and path to follow to do anything is anything but intuitive. This has to be the most confusing set of menus and options I have ever seen.

I have a 2003 Acura MDX and I have yet to open the book on it's nav system and both my wife and I have never had any real trouble figuring out how to make it work. We also had a 2001 Lexus and it's nav system was on the same par as the Acura's, easy to use and accurate. I also have a Garmen and while much smaller, is still easy to use.

Can anyone address or suggest what to do about any of the above items?

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post.
Sounds like yours is messed up or is not set up right. Go in to your menu and set everything back to default. Also check your region number and make sure its correct. I showed a 65 yr old woman today how to use the voice recognition and she had it down in 10 mins. The trick with voice recognition is know what to say and when to say it.