ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

New Battery Now Problems With Idleingon 2002 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Default New Battery Now Problems With Idleingon 2002 Camry

I put a new battery in my Camry last night and the car is not idleing right. It will start up but idle down and die if I don't keep my foot on the Gas. Also my speedometer pegged out. I think I might have an ECU problem. Has this happened to any one before?

Old 12-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Default RE: New Battery Now Problems With Idleingon 2002 Camry

This is normal when replacing the battery. It resets all the fuel trims and most of the ecu functions. The way to avoid this is replace the battery while the car is running. However it should smooth out in the next few days within driving. It might take several cold starts to full warm up and driving around to rid the shake. I just recently had the same problem and all should be ok within a few days if not better than before. The ecu should adapt to your driving habits much better as well. Hope this helps let us know how it all works out....

Driving the car around for an hour or two non stop should help it from going dead at idle . Maybe not rid the shake yet.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:55 AM

wHAT ABOUT THE SPEEDOMETER BEING PEGGED OUT? wILL THAT RESET ITSELF ALSO? i HAVE HAD THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED FOR 24HRS. I WILL TRY PUTTING IT BACK ON TONIGHT.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:30 PM

Well i believe it runs off electrical so it should peg back in lol so to speak. Hook the battery up and try to find a road you can run on nonstop for a good 30-mins to a hour. This should help it from dieing at idle atleast. Hopefully it will put your speedo back in check. Or maybe even a short drive?

I started my car up with the new battery drove it around the block and then let it idle for about and hour and a half. This kept it from dieing out completly and sense i do alot of idling i hopped it would adapt to this. Now all is well runs smooth and fire up quicker or so it seems. Give it 3-4 days to relearn everything then you should be in the clear

Old 12-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

This is great advice, as i will be replacing my battery soon. It seems to be leaking acid around the terminals and i dont want to chance it.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:31 AM

yes u may have low idle or stalling concerns after rplacemant of a battery and the veh will relearn the fuel trims and idle speed that should clear up but no that will not peg out ur spedo no way shape or form, u have more issues then that. NEVER change ur battery with the car started u may get buy with it 1,000 times then that one time u WILL be buying a ecm due to voltage surge normally a yota one runs 1,100.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:25 PM

Never thought of a voltage surge. Good catch. I just thought it was much easier than going thru the annoying idle shake.

I remember my friends camaro he had it would peg out the tach sometimes and even the speedo. I believe back then they ran off a vacum of some sort which is the reason it usually pegged back to normal. I guess if you could top out the car and bring it back to a stop and hope this would bring it back down wouldnt be advisable