ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

New here and an urgent problem...3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Default New here and an urgent problem...3rd Gen

I have searched, posted on another forum, even went to the dealership to get advice... To no avail and even made the problem worse...

Started on Sunday after work, the gauge cluster lights did not work. Checked the fuses and they were good. Monday, replaced the bulbs and the gauges were lit for all of 5 minutes. I think I bumped something putting it back together.

Today, talked to a service adviser and a tech at the local dealership, got a copy of the wiring, checked, everything looked ok( power to the pins that the tech told me to look at). Checked the rheostat( which has not worked since I got the car in June). Around 8, I put everything back together, and when I plugged the rheostat in, it worked briefly, even dimmed. Then it blacked out again, this time, I noticed a rapid drain on the battery and it will no longer start, and to make matters worse, I now have no working speedo or tach, not to mention the turn signal indicators on the cluster will not blink. The headlights work, the turn signals/flashers work, the brake lights work, and the tail lights work. The other thing is, the glove compartment light works...

The other problem is the drain...The starter clicks and it is a brand new battery as well. I am guessing that is the alternator, which seems like an easy fix on the Camry

This is a 3rd Gen 96 XLE V6 Automatic.

Any help would be appreciated...

To recap here is what has been checked out as seeming ok

1. fuses check out
2. tried jumping the female connector to the rheostat( no effect except for a couple minutes).
3. Rheostat seems to be ok(by process of elimination)
4. Bulbs are good, changed yesterday.
5. Head unit( aftermarket) does not have any crossed wires, everything has been soldered
6. Clock and head unit dim when the light switch is twisted( when headlights come on).
7. No moisture or corrosion that I can see.
8. All warning lights.

Here is what does NOT work...

1. Gauge illumination
2. Gauge needles( Tach and speedo only)
3. HVAC illumination( not the rectangle lights on the buttons, but the icons)
4. Turn signal indicators on dash( the signals cycle properly-i.e. not fast)
5. Battery drain/hard to start/alternator for some reason...
6. Rheostat( not sure on this one though)

This is easily the MOST confusing problem I have ever had with a car and have not had ANY luck on getting a straight answer...

Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Have you:

Checked if the alternator light on?

Placed an ammeter inline with the positive battery cable to check for drain when the engine is off?

Checked the battery terminals, battery cables, etc for loose connections, damage, corrosion?

Tried jumping the battery (even if you think the battery is good)?

Investigated the starter solenoid for possible solenoid electrical contact problems?

Used a voltmeter to check battery voltage after sitting overnight (should be around 12.8 V), with engine running (should be higher 13.5 - 14 volts if alt is working).

Suggest you fix the starting/battery issue first. If a bad alt this can cause strange electrical problems.

For the gauge problems if not related to the above issue check for poor grounds and connections. A bad ground/connection can work then stop working if more current is drawn through it.