ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

rear window responds intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Default rear window responds intermittently

Hello,

I have a 2005 Camry whose driver's side power rear window does not always go down. When the window is misbehaving, both the driver's side switch and passenger switch do not roll the window down. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing the problem?

Also, I wanted to check the fuse to see if that's the cause of the problem. However, I can't find information as to which fuse controls the windows. Where could I find this information?

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered. If there's a related post that answers my question, please let me know.

Thanks!

Johnny

Old 09-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

If any of the windows work power is getting to the drivers console.

The passenger window power system has three wires going to each passenger switch.
This switch is a specially designed switch, not just an on/off type.

Two wires come from the drivers control switch allowing it to control the window. To operate the motor, DC power is applied to the wires via the drivers switch. The power polarity in the wires is changed (via the drivers switch position) to make the motor go CW or CCW (window up/down). Note: the motor wiring is not grounded to the chassis.

The third wire is always powered. When the passenger switch is used, power is sent from this wire to one of the motor electrical terminals which depends on switch position. The return wire for the power flows through one of the two wires stated above to the drivers switch console.

If the passenger switch is moved to the opposite position, power flows to the other terminal on the motor then back through the other wire (of the two wires).

The common wire for both of these operations may be faulty. Sometimes constant drivers door usage can result in the wiring between the door and chassis failing due to flexing.

The wire that might have failed may be Red/Black in color (or Green/Black).

Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. How would I diagnose what's causing the problem? I believe I would have to get access to driver's control switch and use a multimeter to determine which of the wires is faulty. Is this correct? Once I identify the faulty wire, how would I go about replacing it?

Thanks again.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

The drivers door panel needs to be removed to access the drivers control switch.

Check for power between the Green/Yellow and Red/Yellow wires when the rear LH window switch is moved back (Note:wire colors have been corrected from the above post for the proper window location). The voltage polarity should reverse when the switch is moved forward.

Remove the drivers side kick panel to access the chassis wiring.

When working the window switches, move the wiring harness between the drivers door and chassis and determine if this has an effect on window operation.

You can also remove the rear LH door panel and determine if power is being received at the motor via the Green/Yellow and Red/Yellow wires as outlined above.

Once the wire is found depending on location you may be able to splice it or if required run a short section through the door/chassis harness and splice it into the wiring.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks for your help Joey!