ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

radio shows HELP in display

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Default radio shows HELP in display

I changed the battery and apperently this caused the alarm in the radio to arm-I tried the alotted ten times and did not guess the correct code. The owners manual say to contact a dealer. Does anyone have a better idea?

Old 03-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Default RE: radio shows HELP in display

AFAIK, that would be your only option; however, given enough time, I bet that someone here will chime in with another way of resetting the unit.

I had a Z3 where I had the same problem a couple years ago. I searched through the documentation (e.g. owner's manual, prior owners' notes) and didn't find the code anywhere. I called a local BMW dealership, explained the situation to them, and they advised that I must bring it to a dealership so that they can hook it up to computer to "read/unscramble" the code. It was a no-cost item (besidesmy time to take it there). They read the code and gave it to me. I wrote it down in the owner's manual so that I (and the next owner) would have it for future reference.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Typically only the dealer can reset the code. Some dealers do this for free other charge up to $80.

Typically the code is set by the owner, meaning someone must have set a code into the radio.

In the future make sure the code is not set, you have the code or use a jumper on the battery cables when changing the battey to enable the radio to always have power. Something that is often done.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:17 PM

I went to the dealer and the service manager reset the radio for me. He was nice enough to give ( yes give ) me the sheet with all the codes and instructions on how to reset the radio. ( I was told on the phone it would cost $ 90.00 for them to do it.) Thank you for the replies

Old 03-14-2008, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: choochoovinnie

I went to the dealer and the service manager reset the radio for me. He was nice enough to give ( yes give ) me the sheet with all the codes and instructions on how to reset the radio. ( I was told on the phone it would cost $ 90.00 for them to do it.) Thank you for the replies
[sm=bounceybounce.gif]