ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Speedometer & odometer discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Default Speedometer & odometer discrepancy

I have an '07 Camry XLE V6, w/about 6000 miles on it. The speedometer appears to be off about 10% (low) based on the rest of the traffic passing on the Interstate and when you go through those static radar signs that give your speed in construction zones. Yet, by checking the odometer with the mile markers on the side of I-15, it appears the odometer is only low by about 1.2%. Are these separate systems? Can I complain to the dealer and get the speedometer fixed?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:37 AM
Default RE: Speedometer & odometer discrepancy

do your calculation with the mile marker again.,..if the out come is the same as last time..i would call it good...i don't know who owns the static radar..the construction comp...or the police?... and was there any vehicle around that may be interupting the speed readings..?

Old 04-22-2007, 12:03 PM

I do intend to do the mile marker check again today, since I have a 350 mile trip home. However, the radar observation has been made multiple times, on multiple static radars. Also, we went through a highway patrolman speed trap a few days ago at 82 and he didn't bat an eye. While that isn't conclusive proof about the difference in the actual vs. indicated speed, it's pretty good evidence on top of the static radars.

Again, does anybody have any idea if the odometer and speedometer are a single system, i.e. if one is off, does that mean the other one should be off the same percentage? Or are they separate systems, as my experience seems to indicate?

I know that in the 60's when I was working on cars, the speedometer and odometer were one single, MECHANICAL system, but now they may be separate and electronic, but I'm not sure.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:00 AM

they are the same system...

Old 04-24-2007, 04:43 AM

You should complain to your dealer and they should just replace your instrument cluster to start. Thats what we do at the dealer I work at. We replace them all the time but it is a differnt manufacturer than toy so I don't know how they will treat you for sure. If your in CA they might check your mph on their smog dyno.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:27 PM

i don't know what dealer you work at...you don't think your toyota reginal manager will start having a fit if you just install a hundered dollar plus cluster..and it may not fix the problem...
hey spurlock can you get a hold of a second vehicle that you know that has an accurate speedo reading....if you do..go for a test drive and pace each other side by side and communicate on the cell to see how fast you both a going...

you by chance have aftermarket wheel or tires?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 PM

Here's an easy way to confirm that your speedo is accurate-or not-while not being reliant on some "Your Speed Is..." thingy.

- Get on a highway with mile marker posts
- Set your cruise (assuming you have it) to 60MPH
- Using a stopwatch (or something with seconds)record the time it takes to go a mile (or for a more accurate test, I'd go 5 miles)

If it takes 1 minute to go 1 mile (or5 minutes to go5 miles, etc.) then your speedo is accurate. If it takes longeror shorter, then it's off...do a little math and you've got the problem nailed.

You can also check the odo too.

I don't know if they are the same system.

b