General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Changing Odometer from Kms to Miles (Moving from Canada to USA)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Default Changing Odometer from Kms to Miles (Moving from Canada to USA)

Hi all !

I'm having what seems to be a nightmarish issue.

My 2005 Camry is still pretty new (12,000 Kms) because I've been driving only short distances, and is well maintained, so I don't want to sell it anytime soon.

But I just moved from Toronto to Boston and while the Speedometer is not an issue since it has both Kilometres and Miles, I however need to change the odometer settings from Kilometres to Miles. The problem is I spent countless hours calling several US Toyota dealers and even Toyota USA, and they all say they can't do it.

I'm pretty sure it's just a policy to avoid people importing the cheap US models to Canada (the reverse of what I'm doing) but well, it HAS to be doable, since the odometer is digital it has to be just a stupid software flag in the computer. I really need some help to find someone able to do it or hack it myself.

While I don't think it would be an issue to clear the car from customs (I have 30 days I believe), I'm guessing when I start servicing the car in the US if I don't fix the damn thing the guys will start reporting my Km odometer in Miles to Carfax and it will royally screw up the report forever.

You guys are my only hope, I really don't know what to do

Old 03-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

A lot of people have asked buy never found a real answer. Some makes of cars have a button to change but never found anything for the Camry.

Might post the question to Toyotanation.