ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

WILL NOT START! Key lost, ignition key cyl destroyed. Installed on/off & momentary.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 03:44 PM
Default WILL NOT START! Key lost, ignition key cyl destroyed. Installed on/off & momentary.

Hello everyone! Whuts up to Mr. Ed Yuhasz (haze) I remember you bud!!!

I have put myself in a position that has me SO STRESSED OUT. I will try to cut the fat and just state the important stuff. But if you have any questions, I dont mind answering them.

For this writeup, you will notice the acronym, "IKC." IKC stands for, "Ignition Key Cylinder." Ok, LETS GO!

Basically, my Camry has been sitting for months. The key has been misplaced and cannot be found. I decided to pull the ignition key cylinder out of the IKC ASSEMBLY and just use a flat head screwdriver to start it. Thought it was going EASY and Id be driving Camry the same evening!. But this cannot be done without a key!.

So my entire IKC assembly was destroyed. I was able to remove the white plastic electrical component that is attached to the back of the IKC assembly and use a screwdriver to turn it and my Camry did start. But this component was falling apart and when I tried to actuate it to start the Camry again, it wouldNOTwork anymore.

Instead I wired one lighted on/off switch for acc, ign, and on function, and one MOMENTARY switch to energize the starter.

The on /off switch powers acc, ign, and ON as normal, and Im positive my momentary is wired correctly, but it will not start.

IM CONVINCED THAT THERE WAS AN IMMOBILIZER DEVICE THAT WAS DESTROYED IN MY ATTEMPTS TO "HOTWIRE" MY CAMRY!! I DONT EVEN KNOW FOR SURE, BUT WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE?

CHECKED BATTERY AND CHARGED. VOLTAGE IS AROUND 12.20V IS THIS OK? Im pressing the clutch to the floor switch as well. Here is my question.

1. What is the cheapest way to get this baby operational again? I feel like I need a replacement IKC assembly with key, but it will be a different key that will not work with my doors....Unless there is some type of identification marking somewhere that will allow me to obtain anexact matchup of my old key? That would be so convenient.

ANY IDEAS ? HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAD AN IMMOBILIZER, HOW CAN I GET A REPLACEMENT IGNITION KEY CYLINDER ASSEMBLY WITH A MATCHING KEY, AND WITH A MATCHING IMMOBILIZER THINGIE THAT WILL WORK WITH MY CAMRY?

HELP ME.

GB AND i APPRECIATE EVERYONES THOUGHTS IN ADVANCE!

Old 01-11-2021, 03:48 PM

you guys have NO idea how much longer my original message was. I had to do some SERIOUS editing to make it this compact. THANKS guys and I am so excited to here what my options are. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:56 PM

Oh I forgot to ask if software like OBDLink SX on my laptop would be able to help me diagnose this NO START problem?

I also failed to mention one other attempt to actuate my starter.. I had my stick in neutral, parking brake up, clutch floor switch pressed ignition ON AND I REMOVED STARTER RELAY AND USED A PAPERCLIP TO CLOSE THE SWITCH CIRCUIT BUT NOTHING HAPPENED AS WELL.. I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF THE STARTER WAS STILL GOOD. CAN I CRAWL UNDERNEATH THE CAMRY WITH A SCREWDRIVER AND SHORT THE TERMINALS TO TURN THE STARTER? WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

iF YOU CANNOT TELL, IM FREGN DESPERATE RIGHT NOW.

Gb

Old 01-11-2021, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a 2002 Camry? If so what engine type?

You say the engine did start and only shut down when you turned it off?

Check for ign spark. The immobilizer kills the ign spark.

You don't need to get under the car. Apply +12v to the small terminal on the starter solenoid. This will bypass all switches and relays.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:20 PM

TOYO- I own a 2004 2azfe manual transmission camry LE.

Yes I started it and turned it off by actuating the center of the ignition /starter switch assembly with a flathead screwdriver. I then quickly turned engine OFF after about 3-5 seconds of running, because Ive been dealing with a clutch problem as well and it was quite noisy while it was on...(This is the main reason why the vehicle first sat.) A month or two later, I then lost the keys!..
Now Im here, desperate for some good friendly advice.

Ok so I did read about the immobilizer and that it stopped fuel injection and spark, BUT I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CHECK THIS.. ( DIAGNOSING ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS IS WHERE STRUGGLE!) I HAVE A HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING OHMS LAW. IT TOOK ME 3 DAYS TO FINISH WIRING THE ON/OFF SWITCH AND MOMENTARY SWITCH, AND I STILL AM NOT CERTAIN THAT I DID IT CORRECTLY, BUT I THINK I GOT IT RIGHT. .(IT WOULD HAVE SMOKED AND BURNED UP RIGHT? LOL)

APPLY 12 VOLTS TO SMALL TERMINAL ON SOLENOID? OK, RUN A WIRE FROM BATTERY POSITIVE TO THIS TERMINAL, SIR?

TOYO- I APPRECIATE YOU BROTHER!

Old 01-11-2021, 09:29 PM

AS FAR AS THIS VEHICLE BEING EQUIPPED WITH AND IMMOBILIZER, I DO NOT KNOW, BECAUSE I NEVER HAD OR SEEN ANY RED BLINKING LIGHT ANYWHERE!

Maybe its not a bad idea to first confirm if this was equipped with an immobilizer or not?!

Old 05-01-2023, 04:21 PM
Default omg me too!! what did u do/

[what did u do/
QUOTE=rick oshay;103917]Hello everyone! Whuts up to Mr. Ed Yuhasz (haze) I remember you bud!!!

I have put myself in a position that has me SO STRESSED OUT. I will try to cut the fat and just state the important stuff. But if you have any questions, I dont mind answering them.

For this writeup, you will notice the acronym, "IKC." IKC stands for, "Ignition Key Cylinder." Ok, LETS GO!

Basically, my Camry has been sitting for months. The key has been misplaced and cannot be found. I decided to pull the ignition key cylinder out of the IKC ASSEMBLY and just use a flat head screwdriver to start it. Thought it was going EASY and Id be driving Camry the same evening!. But this cannot be done without a key!.

So my entire IKC assembly was destroyed. I was able to remove the white plastic electrical component that is attached to the back of the IKC assembly and use a screwdriver to turn it and my Camry did start. But this component was falling apart and when I tried to actuate it to start the Camry again, it wouldNOTwork anymore.

Instead I wired one lighted on/off switch for acc, ign, and on function, and one MOMENTARY switch to energize the starter.

The on /off switch powers acc, ign, and ON as normal, and Im positive my momentary is wired correctly, but it will not start.

IM CONVINCED THAT THERE WAS AN IMMOBILIZER DEVICE THAT WAS DESTROYED IN MY ATTEMPTS TO "HOTWIRE" MY CAMRY!! I DONT EVEN KNOW FOR SURE, BUT WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE?

CHECKED BATTERY AND CHARGED. VOLTAGE IS AROUND 12.20V IS THIS OK? Im pressing the clutch to the floor switch as well. Here is my question.

1. What is the cheapest way to get this baby operational again? I feel like I need a replacement IKC assembly with key, but it will be a different key that will not work with my doors....Unless there is some type of identification marking somewhere that will allow me to obtain anexact matchup of my old key? That would be so convenient.

ANY IDEAS ? HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAD AN IMMOBILIZER, HOW CAN I GET A REPLACEMENT IGNITION KEY CYLINDER ASSEMBLY WITH A MATCHING KEY, AND WITH A MATCHING IMMOBILIZER THINGIE THAT WILL WORK WITH MY CAMRY?

HELP ME.

GB AND i APPRECIATE EVERYONES THOUGHTS IN ADVANCE![/QUOTE]

Old 05-01-2023, 04:22 PM

me too!!! its been a frikin month what did u do after all?

Old 05-01-2023, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

The immobilizer uses an ign key with a chip inside. There is also a light on the instrument panel that lights up. The internet should have photos of chipped/not chipped keys and the light.

Download the owners manual at below for details of the type of keys and immobilizer.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resour...owners-manuals

As to your fix. Find out if car has immobilizer. If so research the internet under "2001 lost master key immobilzer." There are businesses that will program a new chipped key to the current ECU.

You will also need a new lock assembly that has or does not have the key pickup (used with chipped key) as required by the cars ign setup.

The actual immobilzer is part of the ECU. The ign key assy has the chipped key signal pickup unit which sends a signal to the ECU.