ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

window problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Default window problem

I am working on an 1998 camry and the power windows only work in the down direction. Any suggestions for a fix to get it to roll up, even temporarily?

I pulled the switched and saw 5 pins, two which I assume are power (red), one blue and 2 green. I assume the green are ground and the blue is common to the fuse? I checked continuity and was able to get power between one set of red and green (without any motion by the window), but the complementary set of red and green did not work. Do I need to hook up the blue one as well in order to make the window move at all?

thanks for any help!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: window problem

Do any of the individual door switches work OK? If so the issue is in the drivers console

Each power windows has two seperate power circuits running to it. One goes from the drivers console to allow the driver to control the window, the other is a direct DC power wire (Blue) to the individual switches to allow the passenger to control the window.

The window motor works in both directions by reversing the voltage polarity going to the motor. If the window works in one direction it is getting DC power OK.

Red goes to the drivers motor, Red/Black is power from the power relay, Green is NOT ground. The motor changes rotational direction by changing the voltage polarity.

Thus to go in one direction the Green wire would have pos polarity and the Red neg. To change the motor direction the polarity would be switched between wires, Green neg and Red pos.

These is no ground wire for the motor, it is not grounded to the frame, etc. The switches change the polarity of the power in the two wires going to the motor to reverse its direction.

Start by checking the voltage and polarity at the motor between the two wires running to them (and not the ground or chassis). When the switch is moved there should be voltage between the wires, when the switch is moved in the other direction the voltage polarity should reverse.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Default RE: window problem

if the motor is working it may be the mechanical problem, the small gear that joining between the arm may be worned out, (like my car) and i got it fixed by a friend. remove the whole thing out and find it.