ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Wiring problems on NSS 05 Camry

Old 01-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Default Wiring problems on NSS 05 Camry

Been working on a 05 Camry 4 Cyl Auto for a few hours. I do not have Backup lights, Shift indicator lights on Instrument Pnl. Removed the Neutral Safety Switch Conn and checked for 12 vdc with the ignition on(not running) and in reverse, no voltage on any pin on the plug. Check the Gauge fuses and they are ok. Don't have a wiring Diagram but the car starts only in park, neutral and the NNS is aligned in neutral. I have probed all of the fuses and they are ok. The back-up lights and dash shift indicator wont work if there is no voltage going to the switch !! Car runs ok otherwise. Where does the voltage come from the fuses or the ECM?
I need help !!!!

Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Power for switch is from Gauge No 1 fuse. It goes through a couple of wiring junction boxes then to the switch. Check for 12v+ ign with ign key on at red wire going to switch. Pink goes to back up lights and engine computer.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:04 AM

Thanks
toyomoho.......I will check the Guage fuse today ........

Old 01-13-2015, 01:56 PM

Checked the gauge fuse located in the drivers Comp. under dash and it checks out with 12dc on both sides of the fuse. There are two gauge fuses and they both check out ok. Both B/U Lights bulbs are good but the sockets have no voltage in reverse. Went back to the Neutral SS and pinned all of the wire leads while in reverse with the key on still nothing, no wires on the NSS have any voltage and I know that switch feeds voltage to the B/U lights.
As a side note the Cruise control lights on the dash, when activated, but does not engage. I feel it is one problem causing all of the faults. The car runs perfectly and shifts smooth, A/C works as well. So, No B/U lights, no dash shifter lights, no cruise control engage.
Could I run a jumper to the NSS from the batt to check if the lights come on without blowing any computers up.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

See private message.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:46 PM

Well... Just finished chasing down the wiring problem. Thanks to you (Toyomoho) I found the problem. Went from Gauge fuse#2 across the dash pnl to Conn. Joining Wire Harness IL1, found the problem there on pin #3......Voltage at the Male plug pin, but no voltage on the mating connector. It was hard to detect but pin #3 on the plug had lost contact with the mating connector (oxidation). Had to remove the glove box and glove box trim to get at the connector harness. After Qtiping the pin with contact cleaner and reconnecting, problem solved. Shift lights on dash work, B/U lights work and the cruise control now engages and works normally. All those problems solved because of one pin with no contact !!!! Never would have found the harness connector without the wiring diagram!
Cant thank you enough, toyomoto. If you are ever in Orlando I'll buy you a beer.