General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 camry dx 2.2L starting problems, idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Default 94 camry dx 2.2L starting problems, idle problems

my sisters bf has a 1994 camry dx with the 2.2 liter engine, 196K miles. problems started around april it was wet outside and the car didn't wanna start. we thought that the car had bad gas so we put some dry gas in it and it started the next day. he drove it about 30 miles went into a store came back out and it wouldn't start, not even sputter or try to turn over. i sprayed either in the intake still didn't even try to start. we replaced the distributor cap and it started right up.

while driving it home it started to sputter the service engine soon light came on then it stalled, thats the only time it came on. replaced the wires and spark plugs it started again then once it got closer to home it started sputtering really bad.sat for about 2 months it had a high idle about 2k and my brother and i replaced the O2 sensor. tested the temperature sensor sending unit and it was ok. replaced the fuel filter.we realized the plunger type thing that is behind the throttle cable stuck, i pushed it and the idle went back to normal. but everytime we rev the engine its sputters a little and rev's. i drove it about 200 yards and seemed fine except for that it just sputters a little when you first hit the throttle. took it for a drive about 2 miles and it stalled while trying to back up but started back up fine. the idle is still a little rough but not too bad.

we also cleaned the throttle body a little bit.

we have a diagnostic scanner but it wouldn't plug into the yota, not sure what i can do, could it be the timing belt? my brother and i were at a loss without

being able to hook it up to the scanner. since its OBDI. we couldn't really hear any vaccum leaks.

also around march the car had been hit on the front driver side just after the bumper, we had to replace the rack and pinion and what not. but the fuse boxes seem alright, i don't see any pinched or bare wires. i don't know much about yota's any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 camry dx 2.2L starting problems, idle problems

If the engine runs bad when the air is damp suggest checking the coil for cracks. Try spraying a light mist of water from a hand pump sprayer used for window cleaners, etc. on the coil when it is dark and check for arcing.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Default RE: 94 camry dx 2.2L starting problems, idle problems

ok thanks