Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

02 camry se v6 tune up

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Default 02 camry se v6 tune up

hi all- new here.
i need to know about tune-ups. i purchased bosch spark plugs and air filter. guy at auto store said no wires for this car. do my model have a distributor cap and rotor because i keep doing a search and can't find either. when should i change timing belt? what is pcv valve? does this need to be changed too? at 100k so looking to do a full tune-up. can anyone let me know what i'm missing or forgetting. thanks

Old 10-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Default RE: 02 camry se v6 tune up

I'm not too familiar with Camry 02 Se... but I'm pretty sure the timing belt should have been changed around 80xxx not 100xxx. You should feel lucky that your timing belt didn't snap. You should probably do your water pump too because those go "bad" at 120xxx miles. Since your water pump is right there with your water pump you'll save a whole lot of time changing them at the same time, so just do it when you do your timing belt. If you can't find spark plug wires, you should go to a different auto store and yes, you have a distributor cap and rotor, which need to be changed too

Old 10-25-2007, 05:23 AM

ah man.... I double checked the distributor thing... and your right... I dont think there is a distributor and rotor... haha how weird?.. I thought all cars did. Then I checked for my car too... nothing came up either. hmp... anyways... theres a tune up kit on ebay, comes withs spark plugs, spark wires, fuel filter, Pcv Valve, air filter, and a couple of belts. 175dollars [&:]. good luck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tune-...s-ES300-94-01_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33692QQihZ019QQitemZ290 172615902QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Old 10-28-2007, 10:53 PM

Wow this sounds more like a bad dream.

Well....A tune-up is basically this.....A complete car check...Tires, brakes, fluid levels,replace and inspect all filters belts hoses as needed ect.

1st of all i hope your plugs are factory recommended. I believe toyota uses iridium plugs in all there recent vechiles...2000+Its impairitive you use only this type.As using anything else can cause serious engine damage. Be sure to check your manual for specs i could be wrong.

The guy at the autoparts store is correct. There probably isnt anyplug wiresor distributor cap or rotor. Most cars now days use coil over packs. Those usually dont need to be replaced unless its causing and issue with the firing order ect.

A pcv is a positive crankcase ventilation valve. It should be replaced i believe ever 50-60k you should check the owners manual for this as well. Its never a bad idea to change it an or check it.

Basically a tune up is covering the basic's and then some. Check all fluids. Change them if they havent been changed , once agian your owners manual will cover recommended service intervals. The owners manual which is what toyota recommends can give you a better idea what needs to be done and such.
All filters should be changed if not recently done. Havea complete vechile check done. If your not a certified tech i suggest you have a trusted shop do a complete vechile inspection. Most shops will do this next to nothing to gain your buisness and such so it cant hurt. However i dont recommend you just start replacing parts just because you think it might go "bad" eventually. Toyotas are well built. Ive never had any serious problems. So replacing a water pump that is working fine persay is pointless. Unless its causing an issue of somesort.

Also you might want to double check but id imagine your car has a timing chain. I could be wrong but if you do have a timing belt then replace it. Otherwise your fine a timing chain should last the life of the engine for the most part.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 AM

No wires- you have COP (coil over plugs). NO NO NO to Bosch. Use factory plugs. You do have a Tbelt which has a recommended replacement interval of 90K.

JJ